Your Favourite Sitcoms

I really should get my hands on that and read it.

What’s it about?

Who wrote it?

We should start a new thread, the unfunny fuckers of ressers

Ah, I don’t annoy you that much, do I?

It’s about 300 pages.

Love Wik, brilliant.
Ado was great in The Comic Strip, Mr Creosote, superb. The Comic Strip was really superb, the Famous Five episodes just had to be done

At the start I never liked the US version as I compared it too much with the UK one.

But once I watched the US office on its own right…I found myself laughing more.

The one with Ricky Gervais was brilliantly written…but it was more toe-curling.

The US version is more comical, with Steve C more laughable than cringe worthy.

Plus the US office ran for much longer and so introduced a lot of good actors such as Ed Helms. And Scranton is less miserable than Slough.

The UK one is like the Specials…class but only 2 albums.

Think the UK version was more relatable for obvious reasons. It’s one of a few sitcoms which are rewatchable . Simply outstanding.

Absolutely. David Brent scarily reminded me of my old boss.

Especially the one where he kept interrupting the trainer. The need to be the most important person in the room. He really nailed it.

I think that’s the difference. The UK one is brilliantly toe curling because it’s so relatable.

Whereas the US version is meant to be more light hearted with more characters.

That’s why it’s nearly better not to compare them - as they’re both good in their own ways.

Precisely, just thinking about it now , so many memorable scenes. Your correct in saying Slough was bleak . That’s what was so great about it . That they could produce humour out of such a depressing work environment.

Even Rik Mayall himself would have trouble dragging humour out of the shower of c**ts I work with.

Slough could’ve been on Mars …

We did a training course in Slough years ago…and weirdly with my boss that Brent reminded me of.

Can’t remember Slough that much only that it felt like a huge industrial estate. But a good setting for that show.

The Xmas specials were brilliant too. Think that’s another reason the US office had to be different. Ricky Gervais was just too unique at playing Brent.

Nailed it !

SLOUGH.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
Who’ll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women’s tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It’s not their fault that they are mad,
They’ve tasted Hell.

It’s not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It’s not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren’t look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales.

©John Betjeman.

I’d say I have watched the Office now well into double figures and will watch it a load times more. I usually go onto Extras once I finish it, then something different, Bottom again, Royal family. This is all background stuff while I’m working, but still laugh me hole off. I used to travel a bit to Reading for work, which is close to Slough, but had the same feel to it so can relate too. Plenty of those bosses over the years. Daller mentioned that the US one had more seasons, I think the way Gervais does his shows as 2 seasons is better, it leaves you wanting more. The US ones with 10+ seasons, I think you get bored watching them
Looking forward to the new Gervais show starting soon

R Gervais quoted John Cleese who said the same about Fawlty Towers…leave the audience wanting more.

The US office was getting a bit tired at the end. Same as how the Simpsons just got tedious at the end.

Cleese may have said that, but was it not due to the fact he couldn’t work with the ex wife anymore that there was no more made?

Well that probably did influence things!

Saw a show on BBC about Fawlty Towers…and him and Connie Booth wrote the second series even though they were separated by then.

On the same show, John Cleese said he had ideas of making a movie of Fawlty Towers.