US Major League Baseball

I thought winning 3 World Series titles in the last 12 or 13 years (or so) put an end to the Babe Ruth “curse”?

T’was never a curse to begin with imo.

It may have made sense to get rid of the Babe at the time though, as he was supposed to be an almighty prick - if drinkin’ , hoorin’ and fightin’ are your measure of a man and not his batting…ahem…average. :laughing:

Do you reckon the Billy Goat curse was a real curse then? One of the best sports stories ever IMO.

I was finding the present Cubs team likeable. Then they let Rizzo throw a pitch at the end of a game for the craic, bit disrespectful really. Although it is hard not to like watching players like Javy Baez

Ah, the Cubs have always done things purely for the craic. It’s why they’ve won fcuk all for so long. (Recent success aside obvs.)

Apparently Joe Maddon does stuff like that just to keep the morale up in the squad, it was a game they were getting well beaten in and it got the crowd going. When you have 160 odd games no harm doing something like that once in a while! Would like to see a Cubs v Red Sox world series this year, 2 old school stadiums and would be a decent match up too

Oh dear

Couldn’t sit through a baseball game on the tv .
Like watching paint dry , i imagine its really something you have to see in the flesh to appreciate it . As well as been sozzled & full to the gill of hotdogs .

God bless 'Murica ! :us_outlying_islands: :hotdog: :hamburger: :beer:

Don’t you dare diss my President now.

Yes. Being there in the flesh helps to experience the magic, more so than in other sports imo.

Sat and watched the Phillies last night, they were paying homage to their team of 08 that won the World Series, they then went on to beat Miami 5-1 for the 2nd game on the trot. Going well this year, anybody have a clue would they be in the running for the WS again? Haven’t watched enough baseball this year to have even a wild guess!

I think the Phillies won’t be far off a playoff spot. They’re top of a slightly weaker division at the moment.

Red Sox the number one side at the min in my view, nearly had a collapse v the Yankees just now. Kimbrell came in to close a 4-0 lead and after starting so strongly with back to back strike outs in the 9th he gave up 2 doubles in a row and it was 4-1. Next thing we had bases loaded, 2 out and top of the 9th, the stuff dreams are made of. I thought it was written in the stars for a walk off grand slam. Thankfully NY came up short this time. Finished 4-1. The Red Sox are beginning to put some daylight between them and NY

Red Sox would still have had their 9th innings batting if the Yankees got their GS, yeah?

Oh sorry you are correct sir. Mixing my bottoms with my tops

One of the things I like about Baseball is that, unlike most other sports, big leads can be overturned in a short space of time, rescuing what may have been a lost cause.
Last night, the Red Socks were 7-1 down going into the 8th innings at Atlanta. They managed to even it up in the top of the 8th (thanks in large part to a simple yet costly fielding error by the Braves) at 7-7 before Atlanta retook an 8-7 lead in the bottom of the 8th. A two-run home run for Boston in the 9th saw them overtake the Braves before holding out for a 9-8 victory.

One of the reasons why Closers are on the big bucks, even though they usually only pitch one inning.

Red Sox are on fire this year. Looking forward to going to Fenway this year to see them v the Yankees in the last game.

First game of the playoffs tonight and John Lester is having a game! He’s as steady and dependable as pitchers come. Rockies 1-0 Cubs bottom of the 5th

Red Sox back with a bang last night. A demoralising defeat for the Yankees. You’d imagine the Red Sox will see it through tonight, even on Yankee territory.

Would be nice alright.

I think thats the yankees biggest ever loss in the post season. Boone, a rookie manager, had a nightmare especially leaving Severino in so long, gave up 7 runs in the 4th. All the talk about the Boston bullpen before the series being their achillies heel and its NY who have the collapse in that department. Its not like the players werent there, Boone just made huge errors. NY media tearing him a new one today.

So the Red Sox beat the Yankees and now face the Astros in the ALCS with game 1 tomorrow. This is going to be an intriguing match up. Astros favs to retain the world series and rightly so but if anyone can stop them it’d be Boston. Game 1 is a must win for the red sox, especially since Cora named Price as his starter for game 2 :see_no_evil:

Price is at home and has been as good vs. the Astros as he has been bad vs. the Yankees. They could head to Houston 2-0 up. Hopefully.