The Grand Cabal

I feel left out how do I get into this cabal :thinking:

How do you know what the previous website was like just before it crashed? You had taken an extended break from it, remember? And oddly enough, we all got on swimmingly then, even during that horrible week when Danny left the panel & was commentating on our league games. Fancy that !

For the 876th time, no one here minds differing points of view. It’s calling people who disagree with you idiots, buffoons, nursing petty grudges, having vendettas etc etc that makes the place so unpleasant. A little civility wouldn’t go amiss is all…

But you’ll probably ignore that point (yet again) and go back to ranting about this cabal shit. Over and out.

(This poster is in no way attempting to back seat moderate. This poster does not endorse back seat moderating. This poster approved this message.)

So here it is: any chance of doing without all the commentary about commentary? While I understand big bad egos are at stake, the sniping isn’t what makes this site so great. Fair enough, people need to make their case and part of that requires them to defend their person. Still though: maybe that sort of stuff could be reserved for a special thread? Discussion in this thread, and so many others like it, is supposed to be devoted to analysis of a huge match about which we’ll all be concerned for the next few weeks, one that will live long in the memory, whatever happens on the day. Its not supposed to be about who said what about who in what context and on what basis. I left Facebook because of that sort of gick. I really don’t want to have to leave this one for the very same stupid reason.

Now. I’m not keen to moderate: fair play to those that do it. I know from experience that it is a thankless task. And I’m also not keen to prematurely take the microphone: there are so many in here that have already secured that right on the basis of shrewd and devoted commentary over a very long time. Still though, I reckon it is our role as fans and wannabe analysts to focus on what we know. So this’d mean, at the very least, no undue credence to rumours (i.e. I heard from a lad that Person X’s leg fell off), no undue saber rattling or drum beating (i.e. we’re simply doomed/we’re simply brilliant) and, above all, no personalisation of the analysis. I’ve read the terms and conditions and many people in this thread could do with helping themselves to a good careful re-read. They’re fine conditions. Really!

Here’s the terms of service again, just in case.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely aids to the human judgment of our community. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Please spend some time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Your Participation Counts

The conversations we have here set the tone for everyone. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.

Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: favorites, bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.

Let’s try to leave our park better than we found it.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.