Spawell Stadium

Good question. A local rugby club charges the juvenile teams in the club, €2 a head to train on the astro , a much larger community owned astro (full size pitch - usually split into 4 areas) few miles away charges €3 a head, per hour.

Abbotstown are currently charging €150 for the pitch for the hour. €50 for the ball wall for the hour. Incredible money to be charging clubs that don’t have any money with volunteers coaching the teams.

feck sake.

We need Trump to deport some Mexicans who can build a few walls.

It’s €150 for 90 mins :wink:

In fairness it’s the same price everywhere. Alfie Byrne is €150 for an hour and surface is like a car park and needs repairing. DCU same price and so is UCD. Davids is €100 but it’s not a full pitch.

Abbotstown is a top class facility and you can’t get wrong for the price and pitches are excellent

I still think its a bit much for the GAA, an amateur sports org, who make huge amounts of money, to be asking for that kinda cash for renting facilities to clubs who badly need them but cant afford them. Maybe we should all be sending GAA HQ a bill for our coaching services throughout the year. Tis a wee bit cheeky methinks.

Sky tv …

club GPO’s don’t pay for themselves nor does the running of facilities like Abbotstown

Croker allowing soccer and rugby on a GAA pitch in Abbottstown, but telling clubs they cannot rent out their facilities. A bit rich :confused:

Not disagreeing with that at all. But thousands of folks give up massive amounts of their free time to keep the whole show on the road. Clubs are paying all sorts of expenses / affiliation fees that would have a lot of clubs put to the wire. This is a development facility for the association, its maintained by the groundsmen from Croke park. Thats the Croke park that takes in serious revenue in gate receipts. I just feel that they are taking the piss with what they are charging

Sky tv

would you rather the association didn’t have the funds generated by Sky TV rights? which go towards the costs of GPO’s and the development of pitches and stadiums across the country?

Abbotstown has running costs too though and they have to be met. €80 for a full pitch on a weekend is very good value imo

You’ve said that twice now. What about Eir or Setanta as they were previously known? Are they not the big bad wolf too?

Yes I definitely would. There were other TV deals available that would not have seen volunteers pay to see the kids they may have coached free of charge play intercounty. Money is not everything.

You go the subscription route and next thing you are giving elite players €6m - which could ‘go towards the costs of GPO’s and the development of pitches and stadiums across the country?’

Is that what you prefer?

the bit in bold makes no sense whatsoever?

What about league games on Eir sport? Have you any issue with them?

Money is not everything but it certainly helps maintain the costs associated with the GAA such as GPO’s and the development of pitches throughout the country. To that end I think it’s a sacrifice worth making.

What other TV deals were available last year? Did any free to air broadcaster bid for the rights that Sky hold for the next five years?

I don’t agree with the GPA getting €6m a year but can you not see that they would be getting that regardless of whether it’s Sky/Al Jazeera or RTE paying to broadcast the games?

[quote=“Dub09, post:296, topic:1586, full:true”]

Yes I definitely would. There were other TV deals available that would not have seen volunteers pay to see the kids they may have coached free of charge play intercounty. Money is not everything.

You go the subscription route and next thing you are giving elite players €6m - which could ‘go towards the costs of GPO’s and the development of pitches and stadiums across the country?’

Is that what you prefer?
[/quote]If they were that interested they’d go to the game and have to pay in :wink:

I have an issue with pay to view full stop and always will. The bit in bold means that once you took TV money then you opened the door for the players to get a large chunk - and fair play to them. €6.2m per year. I don’t understand people who have a go at the GPA but don’t mind paying a subscription to watch GAA.

There are people in HQ with whom money is the only consideration and in an amateur association I think that is wrong. Money is of course important but should not be the bottom line. IMO things such as Sky/Eir deals should have come before Congress because of their potential impact on members but that was never going to happen because they wouldn’t have been passed in a million years.