Rule changes

So you’d rather it be kicked away instead of holding onto possession?

Or, you know, to a team mate?

Of course, but a team mate won’t always be free so kicking it for the sake of kicking it makes no sense when there is a high probability of possession being given away.

You’ll see players trying 5-10 yard kick passes - it will look even worse than what is going on right now, in my opinion and become scrappier.
An oval ball will be the next suggestion to take down the Dubs. A magic ball that is oval when Dublin has it and suddenly and magically, becomes spherical when it falls into the hands of the other team.

Can somebody do an Executive Summary here and report back to me asap. Have they even dropped any of the silly ones??

1. Handpass
To introduce a restriction of three consecutive passes of the ball with the fist or open hand by players of the team in possession.
Penalty: Free kick from where the foul occurred except as provided under the Exceptions in Rule 2.2.

My humble opinion: Do away with the open hand and only allow fist pass.

2. Sideline Kick
The ball shall be played forward from the kick except where the kick is inside the 20m line of the opposing team.
Penalty: Cancel side-line kick. Throw-in the ball in accordance with Rule 2.2 Exception (v)

My humble opinion: Nonsense

3. The Advanced Mark
To extend the application of the mark to the clean catching of the ball inside a 45m line from a kick in play (i.e. not from set-play) delivered by an attacking player on or beyond the opposing team’s 45m line, that travels a minimum of 20 metres and without it touching the ground.
The application of the mark shall be standardised as follows: 15 seconds shall be allowed for a free to be taken from a mark.
If the referee determines that the player who makes the mark has been injured in the process and unable to take the kick, the referee shall direct the player’s nearest team mate to take the kick, but this may only be allowed in exceptional circumstances.
A player shall signify he is taking a mark by immediately raising an arm upright.
A player that ‘plays on’ may be challenged/tackled.
A score may be made from a free awarded for a mark in all cases.
In the case of a mark being awarded to an attacking player on or inside the 13m line, the free, if availed of, shall be taken from the point on the 13m line directly in line with where the mark is awarded.
In the case of a mark being awarded to a defending player on or inside the 13m line, the free kick, if availed of, shall be taken from the point where the mark is awarded.
The normal rules governing free-kicks shall apply (e.g. players being 13m from the ball before it is kicked).
Exception: A free-kick from a mark shall be taken from the hand(s) only.

My humble opinion: Can see no need for this. This could result in a stop-start game.

4. The sin-bin
To have a penalty on the day for a black card Infraction by ordering off the offending player for ten minutes in a sin-bin.
The 10 minutes shall commence with the ordering off to the sin-bin and shall end on the expiry of the 10 minutes, irrespective of delays.
The 10 minutes shall be monitored by the 4th Official, where operating, and otherwise by the Referee.
The player may only re-join the game at a break in play and on the instruction of the fourth official or referee.
A subsequent black card Infraction shall be penalised by the showing of a black card followed by a red card.
In this case there shall be no substitution allowed.
• The maximum number of substitutions in normal time to return to five.
• The duties of a Referee and Sideline Official to be amended in accordance with the main proposal.

My humble opinion: In favour of this with the exception of the “irrespective of delays!!

5. Kick-out
The kick-out shall be taken off the ground from a point on the part of the 20 m line that forms the semi-circular arc.
The ball shall not be played by a defending player until the ball has crossed the 45m line (nearest the kick-out point) or is played by an opposing player.
All players, other than the Goalkeeper (and another player if the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out) shall be outside the 20m line, outside the arc and 13m from the ball until it has been kicked.
Penalties: For another player on the team taking a kick-out to play the ball before it has crossed the 45m line (nearest the kick-out point) or has been played by an opposing player:
• Cancel kick-out
• Throw in the ball on defenders’ 20m line in front of the scoring space.
For an opposing player not being outside the 20m line, outside the arc and 13m from the ball when it is kicked:
• Free kick 13m more advantageous than place of original kick-out.
For another player on the team taking a kick-out not being outside the 20m line, outside the arc and 13m from the ball until it has been kicked:
• Cancel kick-out
• Throw-in the ball on defenders’ 20m line in front of the scoring space

My humble opinion: I would be in favour of trialing this.

Only one that makes sense to me it sin bin for black card but musy be elapsed time as in the ladies football - what happens if someone is injured for most of the 10 minutes a played is sin binned - no advantage to the sinned against team.
Maybe all kicks from the 21 and must go beyond the 45 could be trialled too.
The mark inside the 45 could be worth trialling but again one man’s 20 metres will differ from another mans.

Happy enough with the sin bin for a black card. The rest can fook off!!

Kick out is madness. 29 players will end up between 45 and opposition end line.

Handpass will be a nightmare to monitor and will result in many backwards kicks allowing time to clog up space and encourging blankets. Corafins second goal in the 2018 All Ireland club final had fantastic movement and passing in it, 6 or 7 hand passess in a row, would now be deemed illegal.

Sidelines will always have space forward clogged.

Mark will bring back hoof ball, delay the game and be a nightmare to monitor for refs particularly the travel 20m part. Wait until the TSG starts getting the digital counters out for a pass that was 19.5m and someone gets knocked out of championship becasue of it.

Thanks for all that @niceday2 - agree with all I think.

Just on above, fist pass aside, where do you stand on the limitation?

Second mark nonsense - stealing yards to kick a point will be unpoliceable!

Limitation is good in theory but hard to police. Still no harm in trying it out.

Second mark, may as well bring in Australian rules!! Teams will bring in a few Devon Toners and put them up front to catch and mark!!
As for allowing 15 seconds for the mark to be taken - how much action will be then seen in the game?

I was talking to an hig porifle inter county referee at the weekend and he was saying he has refereed trail games with these rules and the handpass is a nightmare to monitor.

As I mentioned above it will just encourage going backwards all the time. Keepers could soon be top of the possesion stats.

There are also talks of a mobile device being piloted to assist refs in monitoring;
Hand passes
Steps
hops / solos
subs
sin bin
notings / yellows
etc…

These are called players and managers :grin:

Agreed, will be a nightmare!

Most of the rules proposed are a load of garbage in my opinion and way too many of them brought in for experimentation in one go .

I can’t see Dublin taking the league seriously next year . What’s the point in spending hours adapting to those rules when you won’t be playing that way in the championship, next year anyway

Might keep some here happy … :wink:

Not sure if they can be trialled in the league. Thought it was the Mickey Mouse cups and colleges only!

hard to keep everyone happy!!

League is where I understand they are to be trialled, similar to the sin bin for yellow cards and direct pick up off the ground a few years back.

The more and more I talk and think about this there is no sense to it at all.

Sin bin for a black card is the only one that makes any kind of sense to me.

Maybe we can all help the refs. Say if the Hill counts the steps and the stands count the handpasses.

Correct!