Rule changes

Something along the lines of only being able to have 2 extra defenders (one of which would presumably be the goalie) over an attacking team in the 45 or something to that effect?

They’ll have fecking offside next …

They’d have it the other way around. There must always be a forward between a defender and their keeper.

Who are these people? Any Dubs??

David Hassan (Chair), Knight Rider?
Tracy Bunyan (Sec), did she write Pilgrim’s Progress?
Pat Daly, ex LoI ref?
Seamus Kenny, Meath man???
Brian Cuthbert, ex Cork manager?
Michael Delaney, Leinster CEO
David Collins, one of the Professionals?
Alex McQuillen, fashion designer?
Frank Murphy, really? THE Frank Murphy? :scream:

So unless I’m mistaken they didn’t have any current players, any current managers or any current referees on the panel.

If the aim is to stop the blanket, then one big change line this should be trialled instead of 5 or 6 small changes that only seem to further encourage packed defenses.

Jaysus. You’d wonder why not cut to the chase & start out by having a group of people who are at the coalface, or at least have a couple of them on the initial think-tank panel.

Now I’ve no grá for the current trend of fairly lengthy phases of possession football but surely a key element in improving the game as a spectacle is a tiered championship? Put simply, we can all see that teams taking on opponents at a similar level means they’re more likely to take risks as they believe they’ve a real opportunity of winning the game, rather than the current championship free-for-all where a good few championship pairings result in one team thinking of one thing and one thing only - damage limitation. Hey presto, risk-averse tactics flood the preparations. Many of the results this panel are striving for could happen organically if the nettle of championship structure was grasped. But since that’s not gonna happen any time soon…

Trying to clear between the 45s should be fun when a team is trailing in the last few minutes…

And waiting for the midfielders to get back outside the 45 will waste time. Winning teams can waste time by taking their time getting back, same with any other players inside the 45. Think it’s one new rule that wasn’t thought out much.

What… An committee of dinosaurs. The game has changed , its not a catch and kick, hoof the ball up the pitch to some donkey like Jarlath Burns.

Some of these rules wont pass, some will and will fail the trial period and not continued.

The club game and refs forgotten about again, the inter-county scene is only 1 part of the GAA, and not the biggest part by a long way.

Imagine trying to police those rules in the Phoenix Park on a Sunday afternoon in October where you’d be doing well to get flags and nets!

Sure what did anyone expect from a committee full of haters, without a Dub to be seen next nor near it.

Seems to me to be the classic committee who have sat round a table and talked themselves into a frenzy … with the best will in the world.

The first thing that should be asked is - what are they trying to achieve and why. It is not clear on either count. What exactly is their mandate? Again it’s not clear.

Will their changes improve the game? Absolutely not IMO. Are their changes workable? Absolutely not. Practical? Absolutely not.

There is nothing really badly broken in the game that needs fixing - or not to the extent of coming up with drastic and unecessary suggestions. A change of attitude among managers would improve the game far more - and that may be coming anyway. The penny is dropping - you will not win with blanket defences and ultra defensive systems.

The best thing John Horan can do is thank them for their work and put their suggestions at the very bottom of whatever pile of papers is on his desk. And maybe consult the current players, managers etc for any practical and meaningful rule changes going forward - while noting that change is not always needed … or good.

You have a sideline around 25m from the opposition’s end line. You attempt to play the ball quite lateral but forward enough to be legal. However, having started in the right direction, the ball is blown back by the wind to a point slightly further away from the opposition’s end line before your teammate is the first to play the ball after you’ve kicked it. Is that a foul?

Or, you are a referee in a public park, the ground is like a bog and the pitch is just about playable, the grass hasn’t been cut in months because the mowers would sink, and all of last seasons line painting is long gone. After 10 minutes, when the game has descended into a complete shambles and everyone is blaming you, be comforted that a committee of “experts” decided after reviewing footage from a few years of inter county matches that these changes were made to benefit the game…

If you take the “proposals” as they are written and for now disregards the penalty for not obeying them, they are littered with fault. All below based on run of the mill club games.

Proposal (1)

Handpass - To introduce a restriction of three consecutive passes of the ball with the fist or open hand by players of the team in possession.

Query - why have open or fist, just have fist pass, end of. Supporters/managers etc will start shouting at ref that was only 2 fist passes and “hes allowed another 3 handpasses”. It just muddys the water already.

Proposal (2)

Sideline Kick

That the ball shall be played in a forward direction from the kick. Why? Serves zero purpose
Exception:

In the case of a side-line kick being taken by an attacking player on or inside the opponents’ 13m line, the ball may be kicked in any direction. So in essence he can balloon the ball all the way to back to his own midfield anyways.

Proposal (3)

The Mark – To extend the application of the Mark to the clean catching of the ball on or inside the 20m line from a kick delivered on or beyond the 45m line without it touching the ground.

In the case of a Mark being awarded to an attacking player on or inside the 20m line, the free, if availed of, shall be taken from the point on the 20m line directly in line where the Mark is awarded.

The application of the Mark in the two areas of it arising (i.e. as in current Rule and in new Proposal) shall be standardised as follows:

•   Up to  **15**  seconds shall be allowed for a free to be taken from a Mark.

•   If the Referee determines that the player who makes the Mark has been injured in the process and unable to take the kick, the Referee shall direct the player’s nearest team mate to take the kick.

•   **So two clean catches will result in up to **30 seconds delay YES 30 SECONDS!**, way to go for speeding up the game.** 

Exception:

A free-kick from a Mark shall be taken from the hand(s) only.

If a player opts to ‘play on’ when awarded a Mark, he may be challenged i.e. provisions (b) (i) and (ii) of the current Mark Rule shall not apply during the experimentation. so…opposition don’t have to immediately retreat and can clamber in and all hell will kick off!! :laughing:

Proposal (4)

Sin-Bin – The Penalty on the day for a Black Card Infraction or two Yellow Card Infractions - an ordering off for ten minutes in a Sin Bin. All thats happening here is more leniency on lads who are acting the dick to be honest. Cynical fouls are no rewarded with 10 mins on the bold step. the GAA are inadvertently bringing their own game into disrepute now by lowering the punishment/threshold of cynicism.

A subsequent Black Card Infraction shall be penalised by the showing of a Black Card followed by a Red Card. So after 10 mins on the bold step, your 2nd chance is your last chance.

A subsequent Yellow Card Infraction shall be penalised by the showing of a Yellow Card followed by a Red Card. I’m bored and confused at this stage

In either case there shall be no substitution allowed. meh?!

The Duties of a Referee and Sideline Official to be amended in accordance with this Proposal. Thanks for telling us.

Proposal (5)

Kick-Out/Zoning

For a kick-out, two players only from each team shall be positioned between the two 45m lines. whatever…

**The whole kick out zoning crap is just delusional. Not overly surprising when you have no refs on a committee which appears to be top heavy with older generation. **

For the run of the mill refs the length and breath of the country this will be a total mindf__k if its comes in and combined with the lack of knowledge and different interpretations from a lot of players, refs, managers and supporters the reign of abuse refs will get will lead to lads packing it in.

Can I add too that having no dubs on the committee is irrelevant and I really don’t think this is an anti dub challenge to try and dethrone us, but merely tinkering with stuff because they can. Whatever systems they come up with, whatever rule changes they make, the intercounty teams that have their ship in order and are genuine all Ireland contenders will continue to adapt and get stronger and the other 26 counties will simply flounder.

The problem with these kinds of committees is when you ask them to look at something, they feel they have to come back with stuff. Some load of shite in there. sin bin is the only one i would bother with.

I agree with the “anti Dublin” thing - can see the two Brian’s and o gara making hay with these rules tbh but the three hand pass rule will result in balls being walloped into a sideline as far away as possible or the end line to allow a reset.

Can see a big fall in scores, none if this addresses the curse of the blanket.

Blanket will only be more effective now as teams won’t be able to hand pass around it.

The kick-out thing would actually result in Eoin Murchan being our best midfielder. There will be so much space there that no ball will be kicked to a contest. It will be a serious of moves to allow space for a guy to run onto the ball, and Murchan is probably our best at that. So for this rule, which is designed to encourage high fielding, you would assume, it will mean the small fast guys become the key.

The offensive mark introduces a huge element of a lottery into a game. You can have the better football team beaten by a big lad making a few decent catches.

In the main, these rules reward the defensive team and hinder the offensive one. I don’t particularly mind who is on the committee. I think current players are the worst to be making decisions like this, but I think there was a much simpler way of achieving what they want to achieve. Just limit the amount of players allowed in each half. They have sort of done this with the kickout rule anyway, so by just extending that, I don’t think they would have needed any of the rest of it.

For Dublin, I don’t think they are all bad. I don’t think Dublin will ever lose one of their own kick outs again with these. But there is a definite attempt to make the game more agricultural / Aussie Rules, and I don’t think that is great for Dublin or small, good footballers.