Rule changes

I doubt it - sure it’s all been out there for a long time now. Perhaps they got a sweetener …

0 Likes

Looking back at September’s final again yesterday, one other thing that came to my mind was with regard to the"forward mark" is that a defending player should be similarly awarded (if the rule is introduced) if making such a catch. Too often, a defender (or goalkeeper) makes a great catch, like Howard did at the death v Tyrone, but, unlike Howard, they can’t stay on their feet and are engulfed by two or three opposing players and get pulled up for over-carrying.

0 Likes

Maybe … But then it’s just Aussie Rules

0 Likes

Agree completely. Should be for both sides or none.

I think these rules will die an ignominious death.

0 Likes

It is one of the (temporary) rules I don’t agree with. But if you’re going to reward an attacking player making the catch then it should also apply to a defensive player.

0 Likes

This is the case, A defender or GK can indicate he wants the mark in the same way a forward can once the ball has been played from outside the 45m and traveled the requisite distance.

0 Likes

Good shout, if an intercepted kick forward was rewarded with a mark it ‘might’ encourage more contesting the ball and less pulling and dragging by defenders. A small fast defender could make an impact against a big forward in that case and could actually make the game more interesting with teams accepting size mis-matches for tactical reasons

0 Likes

The game would become totally stop start.

0 Likes

I remember the days they just played football…

1 Like

Fair enough, I (obviously) didn’t realise that.

0 Likes

When will know if new rules will be implemented for league? The GPA were supposed to have meeting with GAA about this.

0 Likes

Will be discussed after the Mickey Mouse competitions are finished.

0 Likes

Kevin Cassidy on the button here.

3 Likes

I see Sunday Game were “giving out” about the 10minute sin bin and the amount of time 2 players were down cutting the actual sin bin time by almost 6 minutes. Once again, this firefighting horse sh*t has to come to an end at some stage. The rules, agreed with the or not were put out well before the league, only now some of our “leading pundits” are beginning to see the lunacy of the way some of them are constructed. The sin bin issue particularly was discussed here at length, highlighting the exact problem now the experts have just copped.

Reminds me of inter county managers giving out about playing matches closely together etc in championship. Again, crap. The master fixture list for champ is laid out well in advance and includes replays (if needed) or back door games (again if needed).

1 Like