Rugby 2016/17

It’s not who you know it’s Machenaud …

It’s machinations!

The huge lad that captains Toulon - he’s a big Bastareaud …

AJ Bell, a major sponsor of Sale RFC, have apparently opposed signing either player. It doesn’t bode well for them.

Alarm bells …

[quote=“beeko, post:3448, topic:271, full:true”]
AJ Bell, a major sponsor of Sale RFC, have apparently opposed signing either player. It doesn’t bode well for them.[/quote]

They’re Donald Ducked. While I think they were very lucky to get away with it, they were found innocent, should they have their careers ended?

In short. No.

Interesting times in Irish rugby. Leinster on the verge of another EC. Racing will do well to live with them until HT imo. Looks like theyll reach the holy grail having not had O Brien available for most of the season. The strength in depth they have is incredible. Sexton really is the main man there. His perfectionism and drive seems to filter down through the rest of the squad.

Munster with tonnes of soul searching to do. Zebo leaving, there’s not many like him to get bums on seats down there. Theyve other problem areas too. Out half a major issue. Keatley is often an 7/10 Pro 14 player. But only a 5/10 in the big games in Europe. Bleyendaal is permanently injured, and id question his ability also. Hanrahan just doesn’t have the head for it unfortunately. Van Graan seems like a good coach. Hard decisions to come in the summer you’d think.

Kieran Keane gone from Connacht after one season. Not surprising really. It looked at one stage that they’d turned a corner. Very poor end to the season. Keanes lack of connection with the fans and media in particular seems to have helped do for him also. On the field they’re in a lot of trouble too. Without Aki they look like an AIL side. Again 10 is a big issue. It’s incredible to think that Leinster can produce so many class players through their academy, and yet Munster and Connacht in particular struggle so badly.

Some positive shoots of light for Ulster. A play off game for EC rugby next year (Though I think they’ll struggle to win it). A new coach coming in. A line drawn under the scandal from this season. And it looks like Carbery will go up there until the WC next year.

Considering the dysfunction amongst certainly 3/4 provinces, it’s amazing almost the national team are so strong. Having said that, they’re facing into a massive test of a tour to Oz, followed by the AB’s in November, followed by a defence of their 6 nations/Grand Slam, followed by a World Cup. High stakes for sure. If they manage it well enough, Joe Schmidt is certainly a contender for the AB’s job once Hanson steps aside. England are in dream land really if they think he’ll take on that car crash of a situation.

If Leinster win, I reckon Rob Kearney and Jonny Sexton will become the first players to win Grand Slam/European Cup doubles in two separate years (2009 and 2018).

Irish or overall?

Overall, I reckon, unless someone can correct me?

No just wondering but thinking about it that’s probably right. A good few have one double but probably not two.

Some achievement. Do Leinster have a bigger playing base than Munster, think I read they do?

I’d imagine that Dublin alone has a bigger playing base than Munster.

Yea, probably, seen 1 rugby ball this year. Student next door. 43,000 Hurley’s at last count.

Massive difference in the 2. Still, Munster in particular should be producing better players and at a faster rate. They’ve serious structures in place down there. That they signed two 19 year old South African project players speaks volumes.

A superb post. You know your onions Savio!

Just 10k for a Pro 14 quarter final and Zebo’s last game at Thomond. Great supporters alright …

fans who proclaim themselves to be the best in the world are usually full of crap. Munster are a great example of that. Great for shushing you in a pub when someone is taking a kick, not so good at going to games. just like the Ireland soccer fans, they’re great craic at finals but not great actual fans.