Resser in the Spotlight

A work colleague from Invercarghill (arguably the world’s most southern city) has just returned home for a few weeks, including going to a family wedding in Arrowtown. She sent us all a picture from above the town. It’s their Autumn. It looks lovely.

One of my weirdest memories of going to a match in Croker was the 2000 replay of yerselves against Kerry . I finished up a week on the nightshift & a gang of us headed into the Galway hooker in Heuston St. for early morning drinks .For whatever reason we decided to keep going & went into the match . It was only a handful of times I’ve ever been on the hill but the craic was mighty . I ended up going home afterwards & missed the 2.2 draw with Ireland & Holland .

Slept completely through to the next day .

So , what’s the strangest game you’ve been to

Probably the aforementioned Armagh v Fermanagh game in 1993. Down to 14 men, played off the pitch for the entire game and losing 1-15 to 1-6, with many supporters of both sides having left. From absolutely nowhere we summoned a firestorm of attacking football in the closing minutes to take the match by a point. Many, many supporters from both sides were blissfully unaware, having already left. A mate of mine had to be persuaded to switch on the Sunday Game that night. It set us up for six matches in total in Ulster that year - each team we played ended in a draw - and we didn’t even get to an Ulster Final. Derry won the All Ireland that year having played five games.

Ulster final in Croke Park , feelings about that

Have great memories of it, as the three years it was there, we won three in a row. Back then, here was huge spectator demand, so I believe the move was justified. I don’t sense there is the same demand now, and therefore the debate is not as urgent. On balance, I’d prefer them in Clones.

Were you at the AI finall in '77

Yes - went with my late father and a great family friend. As a twelve year old, sat on my Dad’s knee in the Upper Cusack. Always recall that our seats must have formerly been press, as there was like a desk apparatus in front of us.

Was 2005 a hard pill to swallow in regards to the matches with Tyrone

You cannot underestimate how much. Devastating. I was inconsolable after the game and a Tyrone support came up to me to try and commiserate - he told me we had a great year, Ulster and NFL Champions, to which I replied “would you like to swap?” He nodded in agreement and walked off with the air of a counsellor who realized that nothing more could be done.

Childhood I’m afraid - as regards training, the joker might have been played once or twice!! :smirk:

@Rufus_T_Firefly

'02 final
Oisin misses the peno. What’s going through your head at this time & did ya think ye would go on to win it .

Jamie Clark - a polarising figure in the county ?

Whats the future looking like regarding underage lads coming through . Who should we look out for .

@Rufus_T_Firefly - Thoughts on Rónán Clarke? Could of been one of the best but for injury?Player I always admired.

Wait, Al lives in NZ?? Well I never!

Sweeeet aaaas brú! :grinning:

Rufus, bad luck on not losing the asthma, it left me after about 14. Not a smoker but the odd ciggy after or even during a heart-bashing game or otherwise, along with a beer, is something shamefully enjoyable.

Am surprised you picked 03 over the last two games of 02, was it a “proven no fluke” thing? Yet it proved not alot ultimately that year and Dublin went on to worser and worser things.

Was Oisín wrong to say what he did about Casey?

:face_with_monocle:

@25AliveOh , Comrade @Rufus_T_Firefly wasn’t let pick games from 2002.

Clearly a man who does what he’s told. :rofl:

'02 final Oisin misses the peno. What’s going through your head at this time & did ya think ye would go on to win it .

Thought we were gone and had accepted defeat. That thought continued up to the goal when I thought - yez feckers - you’re determined to put me through the wringer!! It was only in injury time I though - sweet Jaysus - we could actually win this!!

Mickey O’Sullivan did give the opinion that he thought if Armagh had scored that penalty, then Kerry would have won, and I have some sympathy for that. I definitely think Kerry thought it was won at half time, and when Armagh threw caution to the wind in the second half, Kerry could not reassert themselves, and the rest is history!! Wonderful, wonderful memories.

Jamie Clark - a polarising figure in the county ?

He has been, but I think at this stage people have just given up on him. He had a major impact last year and was an important figure in us getting to a quarter-final and then gave an interview in the press where he said he was ready to commit long term, and then he disappeared. To be fair, I think he had a fall out with Rangers, and I think it is irreparable, and the lad maybe has more in his mind than just football. He is am amateur after all, but as supporters we are likely going to look back and feel short changed.

Whats the future looking like regarding underage lads coming through . Who should we look out for .

Not very healthy to be honest. Our Under 17s lost in the first round of the Championship to Down, just last week, although St Ronans from Lurgan won the Hogan Cup recently which was a major boost. The two big prospects I’d say are the O’Neills from Cross, although they have opted out this year, which is disappointing.

The neighbours’ child. I’ve often said that if he had been injury free and born a Kerry man, we would have been talking an all time great. Armagh had unquestionably three great players in 02 - Stevie, Geezer and Paul McGrane. I would be prepared to argue for two more - Oisin and Ronan Clarke.

Rufus, bad luck on not losing the asthma, it left me after about 14. Not a smoker but the odd ciggy after or even during a heart-bashing game or otherwise, along with a beer, is something shamefully enjoyable.

Definitely agree on the beer Al. Cigs never did it for me. I do remember the Summer of 79, me and a few of the lads buying a pack of ten for 29p. Never did inhale!!

Am surprised you picked 03 over the last two games of 02, was it a “proven no fluke” thing? Yet it proved not alot ultimately that year and Dublin went on to worser and worser things.

ProudDub declared it an 02 free zone. The Dublin victory in 02 was a mental hurdle that was overcome, and a large hurdle at that. 2003 tends to get overlooked in our pantheon of failures and missed opportunities, but it should be right up there. Mickey Harte I felt out thought Big Joe and our over cautious approach meant a wonderful opportunity was let slip.

Was Oisín wrong to say what he did about Casey?

Gosh, do you remember the major (heated) debate that we got into on the old forum about this!! :astonished:

I always argued back then that Oisin said what many here would have said in private, but for many there was an element of circling the wagons to defend one of your own. It would have been in keeping with Oisin’s straight talking and very confident persona - I wouldn’t have said it though, which probably reflects why his career was where he was and mine was elsewhere! :flushed:

Don’t remember this , what’s it about ?
Paul Casey we’re talking about ?

Oisin mentioned Paul Casey in his book. From recollection he was Casey’s direct opponent in the 2002 semi-final and I think he made comments that he always knew he had the better of him. There was quite a discussion about it on the old site!!

Ah right !

Fair play Rufus, I’m just stirring it. But if I recall it right Oisín said something like ‘any Armagh forward would want to get Casey, he was seen as a weak link’.

Aye, he probably did too. I must have a nosey at the book again.

Rufus, has your opinion of the US differed since they elected Trump?

Is visiting the city of Leeds itself as grim an experience as watching their football team?

Are you scared of anything… spiders, snakes, heights, flying etc

Have you ever had a near death experience?

Edwin Poots…is it hard not to feel sorry for someone with that name, in spite of the terrible drivel that comes out of their gob?

Do Northerners* use the words gob, durt buuurd and gurrier?

( *Do you prefer a different form of address? )

Is there any kind of food that you will categorically never eat?

Favourite Motown record?

(Too big. Splitting in two.)

Has your opinion of Dublin changed since we’ve been on our current winning spree? Do you ever find yourself mumbling “population” and “resources” when there are no Dubs within earshot?

Do there tend to be Dubs within earshot of you, on a daily basis?

Can you differentiate between Dublin, Meath & Kildare accents?

How do you refer to us lot…southerners, south of the border, the 26 counties, the South, free Staters, Southern Ireland, the Republic…have I left anything out?

3 most annoying misconceptions people have about yer lot?

Your first proper “date” date (as opposed to just hanging out as friends) with a real live girl… how old were you, where did you go & what did you do? And did you even attempt any how’s yer father?

Game of Thrones…is you a fan?

Romantic city break weekend away with the wife city of choice would be ?

Sun hollier with the whole family destination of choice would be?

You can explore any part of the US on your own for a week. Where would you go & why?

FFS, seriously?

@Rufus_T_Firefly - welcome to the hot seat.

What’s your favourite term of abuse?
Do you mix professionally with many people of a Loyalist/Unionist disposition? Socially?
Who is your favourite Loyalist/Unionist politician?
Who was/is the best Taoiseach, in your opinion?
Can you play any musical instrument? Do you have a party trick?
Did Armagh miss a trick by not getting sponsored by Orange when they were a separate company?
What do you like about this forum the most? What do you dislike the most?
Do you frequent any other county’s forum?
After Armagh, who do you look out for in hurling?
Do you envisage Armagh winning another All-Ireland any time soon?
If you could change one rule in Gaelic football, what would it be?
Same question for hurling?
What other sports enthuse you?
Is Mrs @Rufus_T_Firefly an Orchard County woman?
What would you recommend to any visitor to County Armagh? or Ulster, as a whole?
Do you miss Bart/@TheLoneRanger?
Who is yo BEEP-BEEP-BEEP… I’ve started, so I’ll finish…
Who is your favourite non-Dub resser?