Repeal the 8th - Poll

There’s a mental image I’m going to struggle to forget…

Throw in Mick Wallace! Sit back, and enjoy the imagery!

Hold on lads, Detective Inspector Ganly is on the case of widespread voter fraud in this referendum.

On his twiiter page, Declan Ganly was asking some very obvious “I know the answer hee hee” Lionel Hutz type questions last night as he had been contacted by a French Student who says they are a non citizen but got a voting card. As you would, instead of the Gardai, The County Council or the Department of the Enviroment.

This French Citizen was worried thast this would be evidence of a wider voter registration issue. Det.Insp. Ganly is today talking of this being Fradulent activity by an unknown party and “If” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: this has happened on any scale the ramifications are serious. So who, he then asks, illegally and fraudently registered this person to vote in this referendum!! Who, where, when why!!!

Now, Declan was already told last night that it looks like a complete run of the mill cock up. This person is registered to vote in elections, and its more than likely the polling card was sent in error so when she turned up to vote her name wouldnt be on the list. Inspt Ganly though is gaslighting to the extreme on it. If it was some massive conspiracy effort on the Yes side - which is what Ganly is suggesting by innuendo - it would be quite the cock up for them to try and register a christian activist mate of Declans who would have gone stright to him the day she gets the polling card.

Unless…nah… :thinking:

They just had someone from the iona institute on with pat kenny, what a condescending bint. Pat could help but copy her patronising manner. rare for him to be the less patronising person in a conversation on air.

I can see both sides of the argument, it’s not difficult, but the no side really should keep these iona people off the airways if they want to win campaigns.

Show off. I own a bike!

Shocking disregard towards mental health from her and throughout the debate on Monday

She is well briefed, very prepared and knows her articles 14 from her elbow etc but my god she is obnoxious.

Maria Steen ?

Missed her name.

ye. Shes a solicitor or barrister I think

one of her stand out quotes there was basically “i’ll trust politicians if they agree with me”

Did she actually say those words? FFS.

paraphrasing but basically she said something along those lines. It was very throwaway but interesting considering the argument often used that we can’t trust politicians

she is a non practising barrister (of which there are piles).

there were some really choice things said in the claire byrne show including the zinger from mary butler TD hinting that we should be looking at “adoption” which some took to mean bring back the mother and baby homes.

some midwife was keen on rape victims being force to go through with their pregnancies as well.

I see my old mucker kate bopp was there and got an airing.

meanwhile the women from the organisation for women who have to endure pregnancies with a Fatal Foetal illness didnt get to speak even though they were there and asked in adavance what they would like to contribute.

Done just to generate cheap publicity or because of some supposed anti choice agenda? I’d go for the cheap publicity, in the same way that St. Vincent Browne would regualrly trot out John McGuirke to wind up his audience into a twitter frenzy.

that whole campaign was about abortion, it was held as a direct result of the x case.

you have minimalised the fact that the 13th and 14th amendments added those subjections to the 8th amendment.

so it reads in whole

Article 40.3.3

"The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel between the State and another state.

This subsection shall not limit freedom to obtain or make available, in the State, subject to such conditions as may be laid down by law, information relating to services lawfully available in another state."

On the same day there was a proposal to wipe out the X case as well - the 12th amendment, which was rejected by the people. You must have missed that bit.

You should try your disinformation somewhere else.

You could say the same about Mary Lou or RBB.

Good old Mary Lou - election poster picture from the 90’s

She’s a great politician -
which makes it even stranger that they have Jessie J on the posters.

If there’s one thing that’s very clear from this referendum is that the majority of people’s judgements and feelings towards those debating it in public are very much clouded by their own voting views. It’d be refreshing if people could take a step back and at least try to see where the other side were coming from rather than attacking one another at every turn. Both sides have been guilty of sensationalising things.

Most definitely. Lucky enough to have avoided both of them so far.