Réalt Dearg

Before I start this is not a pop at them, far from it but…

Does anybody know why somebody felt the need to start this club? Why did the lads who play for them not just join the local club where they live? Does it hint that clubs are unwelcoming to outsiders? Surely not?

They play in drimnagh castle, close to crumlin good counsel and Kevin’s why not join them? Why set up an entire new club for country lads rather then join the local club?

I think they play in Drimnagh Castle castle because of a connection in the school. I think before that they played in Bushy park and i think they still do. They are a D6 team not D12. Not too many teams based out of D6 so no reason not to start a club. They are going well too so fair play to them

set up in Vaughans in Terenure village I think originally

Absolutely fair play to them the more hurling only clubs the better but can dubs join them or is it country lads only?

Ballyboden territory no?

Half of south Dublin is Boden territory!

I suppose every now and then you have a group of lads who want to give their own thing a go. Happens a huge amount in Soccer here. I’d say they have Dublin lads on the team at this stage. Could you say St.Brendans are a bit similar? Would echo others and say fair play to them, be some going if they kept moving up the ranks.

Based on what I remember from Clare hurler forum days of c8-10 years ago the club roots were as follows:

An approach was made internally from a ranelagh Gaels player to set up a hurling team. Ranelagh Gaels declined and so a hurling only club for d6 was set up …have made steady progress since but I would see 3 issues they have:

1. They should really now be looking to start a juvenile set up.
  2. Lack of public space to play matches/train
  3. Ranelagh Gaels now doing both underage and hurling so is it time to rejoin

Based on what I remember from Clare hurler forum days of c8-10 years ago the club roots were as follows:

An approach was made internally from a ranelagh Gaels player to set up a hurling team. Ranelagh Gaels declined and so a hurling only club for d6 was set up …have made steady progress since but I would see 3 issues they have:

1. They should really now be looking to start a juvenile set up.
  2. Lack of public space to play matches/train
  3. Ranelagh Gaels now doing both underage and hurling so is it time to rejoin

I see they won today so will be promoted to Division 5. You’d wonder how far they can go with the issues listed.

What league did Realt Dearg start in? Did they work there way up the divisions or request to move up?

Worked their way up as far as I know

I heard this too. To be fair, I don’t see why they would rejoin Ranelagh Gaels considering they declined them originally even though they must have had enough players if they went and started a club anyway. And they’re doing far better than Ranelagh Gaels.

Well lads, current RD player here who has been around since the club was founded and would like to clear up a few things.

• Firstly the club was not founded by a Ranelagh Gaels player, it was founded by two country lads who struggled to find a club around the Terenure area. An approach was made to Ranelagh Gaels who were not overly interested in a hurling team at the time, so a new club was set up.

• The club is a bit different in that it focused on attracting players of any age/ standard (in truth largely adults who hadnt hurled in years or who had never hurled and wanted to learn and be involved). We continue to be open to all types of hurlers joining regardless of standard and have had lots of non Irish members - Canadians, Americans, French, Tipperary etc.

• We are largely country players but have a good core of local Dubs and we are acutely aware that an underage setup will be the next step for the club. Efforts on this are underway.

• We have c100 members at present, playing 3 adult teams, with our first team playing Junior C and in AHL5 next year.

• Training started out in Bushy Park but as numbers grew it became less suitable. Its impossible to train 40+ players on a public park which you cant book and we eventually found a home in Drimnagh Castle.

• We are entirely self funded, getting no support from the County Board in our search for a pitch or in efforts to fund ourselves.

• Finally our reception by other clubs has been largely positive (Sylvesters, Skerries, Faughs, NGO, Judes, Crumlin etc) have all been very welcoming and others have been less so, some much less so, but rivalry is healthy. We have regularly been called a team of ringers from down the country, which is anything but the truth. Club is run very professionally and we hold ourselves to a high standard on the admin side because we simply have to until we build credibility.

Thats the quick summary of the club, anyone that has any questions we are happy to answer or any potential members are always most welcome.

:laughing:

Ah that sovereign state Tipperary

Keep up the good work @PullinDraggin

So basically Realt dearg is what Faughs used to serve.

As regards starting juvenile you’ll find most boys in Josephs alreadh in Faughs with an odd more erudite parent going to the dual club neighbour and an odd lost soul across the bridge in Boden. A similar breakdown of smaller numbers interenure college NS where some mjnority sport seems to have a lot of focus.

Bottom line nog much of a market in terenure for a a new juvenile hurling club.

Full congratulations though due to realt dearg for being able to sustain 3 teams afer onoy 7 years in existence A lot bigger clubs could learn from you.

Have to give it to them for having three adult teams after such a short spell. Fair play to them. Juvenile will be a huge issue, if they’re a Dublin 6 based club per say, surely they don’t expect kids to travel to Drimnagh or will they do juvenile in their catchment area? GPOs from all the local clubs in schools around Drimnagh Castle so they’ll struggle to have an impact around the area and further dilute the small pool if they decide to recruit there.