Online media (Balls, Sports Joe, The 42 etc)

Good debate, but I dont think we’d have 5 All-Irelands in the last 7 yrs if both management and players weren’t as commited as they are now. At the end of the day if lads aren’t happy with commitment and trainin they can always walk away, as someone said earlier this is not north korea. I know lad’s like most on here do, who, would give their left ball for an All-Ireland medal. just look back to last september at the winners and losers, it says it all

Wasn’t talking about holidays only, some have taken a break, that’s what I said, maybe you should re-read it. If you’ve been away for a while, like Jack, and CK for example, and still get back in quite quick, it indicates that things might not be exactly as ruthless as they are often portrayed.

How ‘owned’, what? Is that a hurling term? Seriously, you must on the batter tonight, you should try to be a bit more disciplined, you might make county. :wink:
I am very much outside the box, that’s why I challenge these lazy opinions and assumptions about players being treated like slaves etc. Maybe you’re too much inside the box to see the cardboard for the trees.

No, it’s not a hobby at that level. And as Dub 09 says, I wouldn’t want it that way. If it was thus then why would we all think it’s the greatest honour and achievement in sport to win a Snr All-I? Because it’s so bloody hard to win and requires such effort, ability, and sacrifice!

Why have Mayo not won in decades despite being in multiple finals, even back before ‘modern training techniques’? Because it’s so bloody hard to win, and it matters so much. Like anything that’s truly great in sport, it requires massive sacrifices, talent, bravery/courage, and effort. And that’s why we accord it the status that it has.

The amateur status is a big part of that, and there’s no argument, it’s very much under threat. That’s inevitable. I hope it is kept but no guarantees at that level of sport, with so much at stake etc.

Which players were these ???

It might be better to be sensitive about naming names here.

Egan, O’Se and Kenneally

The volume of training you do isn’t related to how committed you are. I’m sure when players trained less they were still as committed.

Likewise winning or losing. If Mayo only trained once a week, from March to Sept, then lost the final would they not feel as bad, or Dublin as happy? I think both would.

Might add, they are general comments and not directed at you as such.

No bother but the way I see it If us and mayo or Kerry or anyone else were only trainin once a week from mar-sept we wouldn’t be havin this discussion, we’d probably be gone in the 1st round, and of course the winners are goin to be ecstatic and losers feelin the way mayo did in September, Im sure when Jim is lookin at players commitment if he’s not happy he wont be long about letting them know

the next director general is going to be a seriously important appointment

We’re long past prioritizing values. They initially wanted someone with a business degree. They’ve rowed back on that but their intentions are clear. More money quickly.

It’d be nice to see who gets the job before rushing to judgment. There will also be a new Uachtaran imminently. I get the sense that there is an awareness that unease is building at grassroots on a number of issues and they simply cannot be ignored.

There’s a few simple enough changes which could open up the calendar for better seasons of all grades. Somehow rowing back on the amount of training teams do would be nice but very hard to police from the top down. While the GAA needs to make money (to invest into facilities etc), ultimately there’s no point having cash if the membership are pissed off.

Building? They’re long since built and at this stage it’s a lot more than unease. The Croke Park executive is completely ignorant of the sentiments at grass roots level. Either that or they’re completing ignoring them.
The entire governance structure of the GAA needs to be overhauled. The first thing I’d scrap is the farce that is annual congress which in theory is meant to be the democratic means by which ordinary members can get their suggestions and points across. The reality couldn’t be further from the truth.

I don think there’s any evidence at all that they understand what is going on at grassroots level. If they did the Super 8s would never have seen the light of day for a start. The fact that they believe that April will be a club month tells you exactly how out of touch they are.

Ah some progress isn’t a bad thing lads. We can’t live in the 50s forever.

No one is suggesting that. But not all progress has to be regarded as good or even necessary

Nor is it all bad. What should be done to ensure grassroots has a stronger lobby do you think. We have GPA, club players now too - but how would you best harness ordinary decent membership voices? The club man. What would be the best way to illustrate the level of unease - to show its extent and that it’s not just a few cranks? Do you agree with Rico re Congress?

The people here who advocate a professional approach have been forced to go to extremes, mentioning beer-bellies etc to support their arguments. The basic fact is that the GAA has taken a wrong turning and is careering down the wrong road. It has happened incrementally, under people’s noses. Physios, morning training sessions, stats men, dieticians, gym programmes, psychologists, wearable-technology, huge sponsorship deals, Sky tv rights, foreign training camps, entire lifestyle changes…if has gone way too far. It is professional in all but name and if we don’t stop It, it will be the end of the GAA.

The GAA pits big counties against small ones, big clubs against minnows. The only thing that keeps hundreds of thousands putting up with such in-built unfairness is tradition. Culture. It is part of who we are. We are lucky to have it and we have a duty to hand it on to the next generation in good shape. Trite comments giving extreme examples are not mature debate. Nobody is saying that Cluxton should give up training and drink pints. We are saying that the sacrifices required have gone too far and are unsustainable. Last year, I heard a radio report that 40% of players contacted to play for their county, a less successful Leinster county, refused to take part. That is not an isolated example and it is happening in clubs all over Ireland too.

Worryingly, nobody at the top table gets this as they are so far removed from clubs and club players. They ignore the Club Players’ Association at their peril. The mask slipped with the mention of a business degree as a requirement for the next Secretary General. I smell ‘Recruitment Consultants’ and that makes me want to shoot somebody. Neoliberal poisonous nonsense. It is not too late to put some of the genie back in the bottle. The GAA needs to enforce an off season and an agreed quantum of collective training and managers who break these rules need to be fired and banned. If radical steps are not taken now, the GAA as we know It, will be toast, and sooner than we think.

And there’s the rub.

It has ever been the way. The teams themselves do not want this to change. Not even Carlow. The GAA are certainly not forcing this inequity and have regularly suggested reform (Tommy Murphy etc) only to be flatly refused by the minnows.

You never miss a chance​:rofl::rofl:. Damn spell check!