But better then expected isn't really good enough. Cunningham lowered expectation by falling out with everyone, and by doing better then getting hammered in every game isn't really great.
My criticism of the manager isn't really based on results, we have had bad results in the past and I would have been very supportive. In Cunninghams first year in charge, I was supportive of him trying to change things up a little. But I do have an issue with a lot of his decisions, and his management.
On decisions, I think the following were wrong
1. Trying Rush at 11 for so long, and then changing him in the middle of a championship game. EIther it was the right thing, so stick with it, or it was the wrong thing and shouldn't have been bought into the championship. The fact that he hasn't changed it since, means it was the wrong thing, so sticking with it for so long was wrong.
2. Trying to make a full back out of Carton, when he had just finished a good year as a half back.
3. Dooley, putting him on outfield in a championship game was hail mary stuff of the highest order. Preferring him to an All Star keep and an All Star nominated keeper is a very brave choice, and so far proving to be the wrong one.
4. Playing three guys straight out of minor against the AI champions - that was just craziness really.
6. The whole team against Tipp was crazy, there was no physicality in the forwards at all, it was set up to replicate exactly what happened in the first league game against Tipp last year - and it did.
5. Playing a non ball winning half forward line in the last years championship. Again was always going to fail when teams pushed up on short puck outs.
6. Picking and persisting with players he likes, until he just doesn't like them any more and he drops them. Plunkett is an example, going from starting every game to not even making the squad is a massive change in fortune and just illogical.
7. Currently I am assuming there are injuries to players, otherwise Burke would not be starting ahead of the likes of Boland, Conroy, Barrett etc.
8. I am assuming there was an injury to young O Sullivan yesterday, as putting on a lad a few months out of minor in a must win game, and then taking him off after 15 minutes would be mental.
8. All of the above is just straight forward selection stuff, based on the players he has left available, and nothing to do with having fallen out with a shed load of players and selectors.
I could make that list 20 points long if I had the time. But as I say the issue isn't winning or losing games, my problem is just with the sheer illogicality of loads of decisions. And also obviously with his disrespect of guys who have served Dublin for years.