NHL Round 2: Cork v Dublin 7pm Sat, 18/02/2017 Páirc Uí Rinn

The Cork team for Saturday has been announced.

1. Anthony Nash - Kanturk

2. Killian Burke - Midleton

3. Colm Spillane - Castlelyons

4. David Griffin - Carrigaline

5. Christopher Joyce - Na Piarsaigh

6. Mark Ellis - Millstreet

7. Mark Coleman - Blarney

8. Bill Cooper - Youghal

9. Daniel Kearney - Sarsfields

10. Seamus Harnedy - St Ita’s

11. Luke Meade - Newcestown

12. Shane Kingston - Douglas

13. Alan Cadogan - Douglas

14. Patrick Horgan - Glen Rovers

15. Darragh Fitzgibbon - Charleville

16. Patrick Collins - Ballinhassig
17. Stephen McDonnell - Glen Rovers
18. Damien Cahalane - St Finbarr’s
19. Chris O’Leary - Valley Rovers
20. Cormac Murphy - Mallow
21. Lorcan McLoughlin - Kanturk
22. Paul Haughney - Midleton
23. Dean Brosnan- Glen Rovers
24. Michael Cahalane - Bandon
25. Robbie O’Flynn - Erins Own
26. Conor Lehane - Midleton

Same team as last Saturday, but the subs bench has been strengthen by the return of Stephen McDonnell, Damian Cahalane and Conor Lehane.

Cork team very beatable looking in paper, I know I know. Sad thing is our team will probably look weaker and cork have wins under the belt.

Th last little bit of heart I have is saying we can sneak a win, the head is saying how bad will the beating be

We will get a hiding tomorrow as we did last weekend. As much as I hope & wish that wasn’t the case can’t see any solid reason why it won’t end up that way.

2 changes from last week. 1-9 the same Dillon and Bennett in for Sullivan and ORourke.

Can anyone explain McGrath at wing back?

Eh, he’s big?

So how about playing him in his natural position wher we have no big men, half forward. And then say push a natural half back, Barrett to 7 and bring in a natural corner back, say madden, at 4??

Am I simplifying it too much?

O Rourke has been one of the best club hurlers in the county for the last few years. Any game I’ve seen him in he has been excellent for Crokes. But, sad to say, he has never cut it at county. O Sullivan had a tough time the last day, but I have thought since the first time I saw him play, that this kid will be a good senior. I just think he’s a half back. One of the best underage performances I ever saw was him in the U16 final against Boden. Stood out head and shoulders above everyone. He was playing 6.
The introduction of the 2 lads will strengthen us up front. But I just don’t think it’s enough.
I know it’s been done to death but ball winning at half forward has to be a priority now. Why not try O Sullivan at half back and put one of the big half backs in half forward? We NEED primary ball winners there. Time to rob Peter to pay Paul. And of course everyone’s other bug bear…the short game. (shakes head in disgust). This is directly linked to not having ballwinners at HF. Fix the half forward line. Then fix the tactics.
I just want to see an improvement. I want to see changes to what is blatantly, obviously not working.
I’m a generally optimistic lad when it comes to Dublin hurling but I’ve a bit of fear at where we are at the moment.
Anyways here’s hoping for tomorrow. :grinning:

No, you’re not. That was the he best I could come up with.

Honestly think he wants to play the short game, he’s not trying to select a ball winning hf line.

The Team named is not starting. There’s about 6/7 changes from last week. Team still looks lightweight enough tho.

We don’t have much in the way of options in terms of physicality right now.

Just for ease of finding it - here’s the team named, a bit more size/experience in the forwards then last week.

DUBLIN (SH v Cork)

1 Gary Maguire - Baile Buadáin Naomh Éanna
2 Patrick Smyth - Cluan Tarbh
3 Eoghan O’Donnell - Fionnbhrú Cholmcille
4 Shane Barrett - Na Fianna
5 Seán McGrath - Cill Mochuda na Crocaigh
6 Liam Rushe - Naomh Pádraig
5 Chris Crummey - Na Sairséalaigh, Leamhcáin
8 Ben Quinn - Croimlinn
9 Dómhnaill Fox - Naomh Jude
10 Eamonn Dillon - Nh Fionnbarra
11 Niall McMorrow -Baile Buadáin Naomh Éanna
12 Ryan O’Dwyer - Cill Mochuda na Crocaigh
13 Chris Bennett - Fag A Bealach
14 Dónal Burke - Na Fianna
15 Fionntán Mac Gib - Setanta

It’s slightly stronger, but only slightly. We got smashed by a team playing at training match pace last week. And the two replacements from last week have not exactly proved themselves dependable on any given day. You have to look at Cork and Clare as two games we must get something out of. Even a good performance and a loss. But if we go down by double figures again then the league is basically over.

I know yea, better balance to it hopefully. I mean Bennet has less than a handful of games under his belt really. Where’s Rian McBride, would have thought he’d be in the mix at this stage.

We need to up the ante big time, hunt in packs, hit everything that moves etc.

Can you give more details?

chris bennett was outstanding against Cork in the championship last year which was his last senior game.

He’s also been anonymous in games.

I may have phrased it badly. I’m talking about consistency. Bennet has not proved to be consistent yet. Dillon certainly hasn’t.

Hopefully they both have good nights tonight and continue to do so. We’ll need them.

No, wouldn’t be fair to post up team!!

he’s only played one in fairness. So he can hardly be criticised for consistency yet

I agree on Dillon though.

Fair play. In your view are the changes you’ve heard sensible and strengthen the team or more head scratching?