Lifetime Dog License

ah i’m only kidding.
When he was pup he was outside up until Nov 2010, we had a utility room in the house in Galway so left him in there, bed beside the radiator. there was no issue with him in the house so generally left him in after that.

House in Dublin has no utility room so the mut has free reign on the chairs and couches down stairs this time of the year.

We bring our dog in every night and he sleeps in a crate. Gets let out 1st thing every morning.

You lads know it’s very un-hygienic also illegal to let to let your dogs poo on the street, in the park & on pitches & not picking it up.
When I bring our little boy’s out, our first rule is “watch out for dog poo”. It is not only dogs out on their own that leave the poo behind. Dog owners can be too lazy to cleanup after their pooch.
Fellas who set up pitches here will tell you, after putting nets and flags up, they then need to walk around pitch looking for poo and glass.

Always pick up after himself . Is there signs up where the pitches are . I know one pitch out my way that has recently been locked up & no dog walking signs around .

Dogs should not be eating glass. Then it wouldn’t be in their poo …

It’s not laziness either - it’s pure ‘couldn’t give a sh1te about anyone else’ Irishness … right up there with begrudgery …

We always pick up after our dog when he is out on his walk. Have seen plenty of owners that don’t though.

What I notice is it’s a case if no one sees the dog having a shit they don’t pick it up , see it all the time .

This is exactly it, and most that you challenge on it would become aggresive. Have had it on a few occasions, even with the kids with me. I live on the main street and there is always sh1t all up and down the street. I was walking her the other night, my bitch, I mean my dog, yea my dog and she stopped outside a shop that I had a run in with the owner before, right at the front door, of a fairly fancy shop too. Away with her business she went. Now it was around 9pm, dark, no one around, I thought about it for a minute, will I, but said no. I’d probably be the one that walked in it on the way home!

Lads , we might be getting another dog :scream:. If anyone has any helpful tips on how to approach introducing a new puppy into a household with a very dominant , adult dog it would be much appreciated.

What dog have you got and what one are you getting?

Its no harm to let the dominant dog stay the dominant one in my experience, keeps the pup in line a bit . I had a bichon (a diva!) in the house a few years before introducing an abandoned lurcher pup. Even after he grew large the bichon wouldnt be long about putting him in his place and he was careful not to overstep when it came to food, toys and even walking.
Feed the dominant one first in the early days and basically give no reason to be jealous of the new one. Eventually feed them in the same room close enough to each other and then right beside one another, thats the real litmus test I found. Once they are doing that in a civilized manner they should be pals before long.

Goes without saying if there’s a problem with aggressiveness that may pose a real threat to either dog I would be rehoming the new addition after a reasonable amount of effort first.

First introduction should happen outside the family home, which is the current dog’s territory. If your current dog ha no real problems with other dogs outside, once he/she gets to know the newer dog outside, it will be a big help when bringing the newer dog home. Admonish the older dog for any aggressiveness towards the newer dog but maybe pay him/her a little bit more attention than normal, otherwise.
@Sam_11 is right - no matter what the size, the older dog must remain dominant but in time, will become protective of the younger dog.

We currently have an alaskin malamute / lab cross . Very big dog . Very intelligent as he has us wrapped around his finger. Ill take the blame for that as i let him become the alpha because i had big issues putting him in his place , ie bopping him on the nose if he was acting the maggot . That has been resolved thankfully & he knows now not to push it with me .
The puppy we are getting is from the same mother & father , so basically will be a brother or sister of him .Now , the good thing is we know how the approach things alot better because we have gone through all before with the first lad, ie raising him , training , etc.
He has never raised his teeth & went for another dog in his life but he does go ballistic when he encounters another dog .But after about 10 seconds he totally settles down & usually let the other dog dominate him .It can be bizarre at times but i think deep down he’s a big softie & just puts up a front when another dog comes along.
But , we have no experience in introducing a new dog which will basically be around for good .

When you say he goes ballistic when he sees another dog is it with excitement?

Aswel as integrating them together you will have plenty of work in general to discipline the new dog. On the disciplining method side I remember before I moved out of home we had a husky pup. She was an absolute nightmare to begin with. Every night she would howl non stop and she would destroy the place downstairs, let’s just say she wasn’t getting the whole house training thing. She was my mother’s dog and my mother went to a vet in swords who we always use and asked had he any advice. There was no question of ever physically disciplining any dog we ever had, my mother treats them like her own kids (not always a good thing).

He told her of one sure way he knew of to show a dog wrong from right without slapping them on the nose. It was to sit on the stairs at night and wait for the dog to howl, have a rolled up news paper and every time the dog howled to to go into the room and smack the paper off your hand a few times in front of the dog. Apparently the noise frightens the shite out of them. After about two weeks of this the howling and shiting everywhere just stopped. In fact the dog became one of the most easily manageable dogs we ever had. Walks off the lead beside us, house trained and not an aggressive bone in its body all thaught through the newspaper method. It took some preserverance at first but it was worth it.

Have done this with my own dogs too and worked a treat. We’d a problem with the lurcher diving up on people when they came into our house. The method we used for this was to have a spray can of water and spray the dog in the face with the water. It’s harmless and just annoys them. After a while doing that the OTT welcomes people got had stopped.

Ballistic as basically he is nearly lifting me off my feet trying to get over to the other dog . He’s about 43 kilos , built like a shit brick house . Now as soon as we get to the other dog , he totally relaxes & is very docile .
Yes , we had lots of problems with him in the beginning . He chewed up wires , ate remote controls , destroyed the back garden . I got onto the cousin who i got him from & she said he needs major stimulation so is causing mayhem to garner attention . So i heaped lots of attention on him which probably has him spoilt now .
There’s way too emotion in this dog too to the point where i forget he’s actually a dog ! His face is very expressive so its easy to tell how he’s feeling .
What he’s been doing now is going around stealing tea towels & pacing back in front of us . He’s figured out we give him a treat to get it back .As i said , he has us played like a fiddle.
Also , I’ve never had him off a leash . I know its not best practice to have him off it either but that’s one thing we couldn’t master with him.The recall .We tried treats , everything , but he thought ever thing was a game . Had some close calls with him so i decided to abandon that. I got him a horse lead , about 25 feet , and a harness so he gets his freedom that way & i also have control of how far he goes . So I’m hoping to remedy that with the new lad or lady .

You have a lot of work to do. Your current mut thinks he rules the roost. You need to get him heeling while walking, get him to wait after you put food in his bowl. There’s loads you need to do, just don’t have time to type it up right now. He thinks he’s the alpha, when you should be! Anyway, I’m sure there’s loads more here that can give you tips.

He obeys all the comands , sit , paw , lie down , etc. That wasn’t a problem . He’s actually very settled now . And he knows who the boss is now ! He’s just a very excitable dog around other dogs .The harness actually settles him alot .We put it on him when we have company in the house & hes fine .Just a few things to iron out & hell be grand :grin:

Picked up our new bundle of joy this morning from Roscommon . Right little diva ! Fun & games tomorrow when we pick up the other one from the kennel . Fingers crossed everything goes well !