Kieran Duff - Laochra Gael TG4

22 goals! I thought it was only hurlerswho scored that many goals in a county career. What a player!!

1 Like

Just watched the documentary, fantastic viewing , I saw him play at his peak he glided across the pitch , fantastic balance ,I have no doubt ability wise if he were around today he would still be a top player , the treatment he got from Meath in particular was x rated stuff , bit of a backhanded compliment, I believe his treatment and lack of protection he got from refs was in hindsight disgusting and as bad as the draconian ban he got

2 Likes

Just watched it. Truly excellent documentary about a Dublin legend!

Ditto all of the above. Just got round to watching it back this evening.

Only young(!) enough to remember that bullet vs Meath but the oul fella would always have waxed lyrically about Dully. Now I truly see why. The TG4 doc shows the ability he had, even as a minor. A superb footballer. Salt of the earth kinda guy too.

Two things as an aside;

1. The doc reminds me why we can never beat Meath often enough.
    Or by too much.

2. Tribal torches & pitchforks post-match of controversial incidents are not the copyright of social media. But to think that The Sunday Game didn’t show the Offalyman’s kung-fu kick!
    :flushed: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

And the reason given was that the gardai were investigating it. A lie. The gardai were investigating a Dubs supporter who attacked Fitzgerald. No valid reason Sunday Game couldn’t have addressed Fitzgerald’s cowardice.

Culchies loved keith barr as well

Thought it sounded off the wall as a reason for not broadcasting it :roll_eyes:

Duff stated on pre All Ireland tv show on satellite tv station Irish TV a few years ago that the GAA hated Dublin. It’s hard to argue from his experience with that view. He was treated despicably on and off the pitch by GAA officialdom.

He and his family came across as lovely decent people on the documentary.

4 Likes

He said on the Whelan podcast it later turned out the lad that clocked Fitzgerald ended up marrying one of Dullys nieces :sob::sob:

1 Like

That’s just mad, must have utterly lost the plot in that moment at the prospect of losing everything they had achieved and worked for the previous few years, after years under the thumb, to this new Dublin team completely out of the blue, so to speak. And Dully the hard-looking face of how we physically bullied them a bit that day.

Lost the plot so bad he took his own man in the head as colaterol damage.

1 Like

I wonder have any of the culchies down through the years ever seen that tackle . I imagine not if their only idea of Duff is the AI final '83

I think it’s hard to underestimate the disdain, jealousy, and borderline hate there was towards Heffo and the 70s team for having the arrogance and clearly “un-Gaelic” spirit to have achieved what they did and in some ways how they did it in that era, and all the hype and glory that went with it, nothing, not even the Down team of the 1960s couldn’t be compared to it as they had the excuse of being Northern lunatics anyway.

Then out of the blue along came the 83 revolution. That final and the aggro in it was the perfect storm (ha!) that allowed a major blood-letting to take place, a sort of revenge outpouring. A young, fast, aggressive and cocky team, playing all-out attack, getting all the hype and glory again, another blue era beckoned, it could not be allowed.

For those of us who remember being in school around that era, it was not hard to understand that what was still left of pure gaelic Ireland, both without and within Dublin looked down on anything that was deemed unpure and outside their idealistic world, a world created, in fairness as part of the recovery of and building of the nation post Civil war and beyond.

Somehow there was both an inferiority complex and a dislike and prejudice of an idea of pride and glory for something that was both gaelic and identifying itself purely with this county and especially with the city. Something with a unique, different, and seemingly uncontrollable identity.

I remember that the atmosphere was almost one of shame after 83, and any time there was a bit of aggro either in the game or the crowd around that time. Some friends of mine who were born and reared etc, and who even played themselves, looked down on the county footballers. One of them, his dad was very much a soccer man in Dublin, well-known family, and they had nothing but contempt for Dublin GAA, and partly at least the school masters who tried to awaken it and make it a big part of their students’ curriculum and lives.
In that context people like Giles and Dunphy, amongst others can be understood.

I can very much understand the disdain and envy of all the glory and hype stuff. I think many ordinary gah people in Dublin themselves are very mistrustful of the success, and the scale of influence and power that the county footballers have. And I get it, it’s a double-edged sword.

3 Likes

Are you talking present tence or past ?

Both but my impression is more so in the past. Or perhaps just in a different way. The common denominator I suppose is the negativity and fear towards “Dublin GAA”. I should add, I think it’s only natural, and healthy that people question, criticise, and debate. This does of course stray into that very contentious area of club Vs county. Elite becoming professional etc. Disconnection from roots and so on. Wherever alot of money and prestige are involved, it’s inevitable.

Anyway my point was really about how things were back in the 70s/80s. I suppose this era is likewise one of huge change for the GAA, both in Dublin but much more so than before, across the whole association. It will be interesting to hear the reflections of those growing up in it, in the future. Especially in the context that the 70s/80s revolution was not at all universally well-received, and by the late 90s/early 2000s many felt whatever great legacy there was had been lost, and also that it showed the success of the county seniors didn’t equate with the games becoming much ‘healthier’/widespread/stronger and more successful generally.

And maybe they were right, to some extent, as the current success is to a large extent down to the efforts of people working at and around the development of young players, and the clubs, and the systems and organisation of it. And that was probably not a direct result of the success of the 70s team. Though no doubt in some ways inspired by it, and involving people who came out of it or were heavily influenced by it.

Really enjoyed that.

Watched Colm Coopers one there this evening , some haul of medals , more importantly, what a player .

1 Like

I didn’t hear a word in Irish out of any of them, Darby, Dully or Cooper

1 Like

Probably a lot more fluent speakers now, with a lot of lads having come through the gael schools

True

Cuala lads always spoke as Gaeilge after hurling games - incl Con as far as I recall.

#westbritdubs :smirk:

1 Like

As do Kilkenny & McCaffrey.

Probably why one of them is always guaranteed to get Man of the Match when our league games are on TG4.

4 Likes