Irish Politics

GRMA a chara. It’s a subject I feel strongly about.

Which background support? Hume and Adams had a LONG History of engagement and they both brought the vast majority of their people along with them, American involvement effectively meant that the Brits had very little choice but to engage, even if they were dragged kicking and screaming to the table.

Manseragh was a glorified messenger boy and Haughey and Ahern were both more than happy to do Englands bidding with Haugheyand Later Ahern having Bobby Sands Family physically dragged out of Government Buildings to extraditing Robert Russell to the corrupt RUC and their torture centers in Castlereagh, Strand Road and the notorious Gough Barracks and further along that conveyor belt to the non-jury Diplock courts and the inevitable massive sentence in the H-Blocks.

For sure.

My father worked most of his life in a unionist-dominated factory where every July a bucket would be passed around to collect money for bunting.

They had to chip in. Many of his generation saw a UI as a way to end that.

He died at a young-ish age…but during the mass the family spoke about his love of his culture and passing that on to us. He was a proud republican and drummed into us the importance of a good education or trade.

I often think of what he’d make of how things here have changed.

I remember the hunger strikes and my whole family knew how important it was. The day Bobby died, my parents just went quiet. It was a black day. It didn’t just affect people directly involved. Most of my father’s family and some of the mother’s too were involved, from before the 20s onwards. It is a part of us, and that has never been acknowledged. Most families have a recent link. Far more of us were involved than is ever understood.

Are they any different from Shane Cassells, Regina Doherty, Shane Ross, Paul Keogh, Patrick O’Donovan and the rest?

The reality is that neither FF or FG give two Fúcks about the Nationalists in the occupied six. From charging people who are alleged to have sent arms in the late 60’s / early 70’s through the decades of the use and misuse of the Offences against the state act, doing NOTHING beyond writing a strongly worded letter in response to Bloody Sunday, supporting the non-jury courts with a parallel system, extradition, doing NOTHING about the deliberate targeting of children with plastic bullets, turning a blind eye for decades to the savagery in Ballymurphy, their response or lack there of to the Hunger Strikes etc etc etc right through to their present day slapping of the hands of their own people for supporting a SDLP member running for FF and the cosmetic gesture of running Durkan in the Euros.

NONE of the above does anything for the people they are claiming to love.

Umpire, we are due a pint up with Daller.

I might join you, once he promises we don’t have to eat Purdey Pudding.

I think it just goes to show how people’s experiences influence them.

Even seemingly stupid things.

As a kid I mind being stopped with my da at a routine British Army checkpoint. I knew he resented it…even scared by it…but he was smart enough to be polite and pleasant so we wouldn’t be stopped for long.

After we drove away, he said nothing almost by way of apology.

I get why some people were totally opposed to violence. But for the main part it was never mindless…and people just didn’t wake up one morning and say let’s fight.

But thankfully it’s over.

Scandalous!

I know I shouldn’t and I’ll be barred but:

Passed through that checkpoint lots and lots of times and never once got through without being given abuse. One of the worst checkpoints anywhere.

I always remember when hearing of Aidans murder that every time I went through there the Brit in the tower always had the heavy machine gun pointed skywards. It took some energy for that gun to slip.

R.I.P. Aidan.

Just to add to the melancholy @upthedall

We were going on holiday to Donegal back in the early 80’s and dad driving. We arrived at the border, and the soldier asked us to pull over. He began to talk to da and da replied As Gaeilge! The soldier said “Go raibh maith agat” and began to converse with da with his cupla focal. Mad moment, but just goes to show, the soldier was used to it, so learned the language!

on the return home, we were pulled in again, this time, they emptied out the caravan, car and undid every cushion, package and trouser leg. F.uckers! Took us 3 hours to repack and had to throw out loads of clothes.

I wasn’t even a teen at that stage, but could never get my head around why British soldiers were stopping us in our own country!

Yeah I don’t mean to be melancholy.

And it’s a positive conversation in that things have moved on.

And as dysfunctional as here can be…at least it’s much better than it was.

Joe Brolly was on Radio Ulster y’day taking about something similar. He described himself as a liberal moderate nationalist and really gave it to the DUP.

Aidan’s nephew Ryan plays for Monaghan…even though he was born in Aughnacloy.

I think the in-laws are from near Emyvale which is a stone’s throw.

But there was a really good interview with him about his upbringing and his uncle.

I remember the Brits closed off the roads around the checkpoint after they murdered Aidan and in the dark of night that Sunday shots were heard in the area. The Brits were pretending they were attacked but in reality were creating forensics via strike-marks to support their lie.

They never left him alone and told him several times that they would kill him.

The Historical Enquiries report is well worth a read.

Stated that the chances of that firearm discharging by being dropped on the ground were so remote that the claim this happened should be dismissed.

There was a truth and reconciliation forum in S Africa post-apartheid.

As I understand it…people would own up to wrongs but without fear of prosecution.

I listened to one of the families from B’murphy who said they didn’t want prosecutions or see someone jailed. They just wanted to know the truth.

Not all families will feel the same - but it might be the only way that people are able to get closure - from all sides. Hard to know the answer.

But at the current pace we could here for a 100 years.

Only if you agree to decommission Conor Gormley…

Former Yugoslavia…A regrettable example that old grudges and prejudices never go away, they can only be best-managed. Which by the 80s in Yugo they weren’t

I listened to a few radio discussions on this.

The chances of prosecutions for things that happensed 40 odd years ago diminish as witnesses pass away.

If there was a peace and truth reconciliation forum…it’s hard to know how people would be compelled to go. And who would want to volunteer.

The legacy thing has got a lot of coverage because of what K Bradley said. But it’ll go off the chart if British troops brought to court.