Irish Politics

Both the optics and what was actually happening last night was appalling. Masked guards - flame retardant moreso than to disguise apparently, but were they seriously imagining being petrol bombed, has that ever happened in Ireland at a protest like that?? - protecting hoods while they board up an empty property at the behest of a slumlord.

Connolly said we would merely swap one form of propertied class for another. Seems a lot of people are more concerned about their garden fences than fellow citizens.

Which one is the new commissioner?

Connolly was a Marxist. How did that work out 100 million deaths later?

The people who organised the occupation are middle class anarchists, nothing to do with homelessness. What normal person would want to live in a den run by these creatures?

Their previous “successes” include Granggorman, a squat on Parnell Street and Apollo house. All abandoned because they became the base for random violence, drug taking and drug dealing, and a hideout for muggers and worse.

The failure to provide affordable housing for decent members of society is deplorable, but has nothing to do with these charlatans.

Listening to newstalk this morning on the way to work. Paul Williams was staunchly defending the Gardai and the balaclava wearing. He mention the flame resistant reason for them in case a petrol bomb was launched. His co presenter Shane Coleman pushed him on it saying how likely is it that a petrol bomb be launched at the gardai at a demonstration like this? To which Williams replied “Go to Finglas and you’ll know all about it” I mean Wtf is that lad on? A tool of the highest order.

He then said another reason for the balaclavas are that members of the gardai were followed home over some asshole (his words) filming them during the water protests so they have a right to conceal their identity.

If there was no violence/crime, Williams would be unemployed.
I genuinely believe his writings over the years have, at times, served to glamourise the criminal world in Ireland.

You are a total fantasist and I wonder what your real motive for being on here is.

Williams is a priapism.

Can people not disagree with you without you resorting to this sort of reply?

Would imagine it’s way more than that but your substantive point is bollocks when you consider all the wars, deaths by starvation and homelessness and poverty in all the capitalist countries over the years.

I had to Google that.

Don’t do it at work, if you don’t want to get fired.

I think they are highlighting it well, their background is not the issue. Something needs to be done.

My vote would go to a national day of rage march, It would make the Water charges issue look like a children’s tea party.

There is nothing worse than being a Fine Gael vote or apologist.

Are you capable of arguing with someone without attacking them personally?

What is fantasy about

(a) the tens of millions killed by the left; or

(b) the fact that previous stunts by the ultra left: Grangegorman, Parnell Street and Apollo House ended in chaos. No genuinely homeless person is going to want to live in a squat with junkies and middle class drop outs!

Besides which, you had members of SF and the ultra left parties which between them have a majority on DCC on the protest. They have previously picketed themselves at City Hall :grinning: And they have done exactly what to provide houses?

They are a joke. a throwback to the lunatics who used to run London.

Why?

There isn’t a single party in this country with the balls to tell the people that they cannot have everything they want at current levels of taxation. Because if they do they’ll lose their seats. We have become a nation for whom everything that goes wrong is someone else’s fault. We demand Scandinavian levels of public services but moan like ■■■■ when we’re asked to pay for them. Political discourse has descended into name calling and abuse.

It’s Life of Brian stuff. Are you the Judean People’s Front?

I’m not saying I agree with you (or disagree)… but?

hang on, so they were guards? i thought they were supposed ot be ex UK servicemen?

[quote=“alanoc, post:3004, topic:1523, full:true”]
There isn’t a single party in this country with the balls to tell the people that they cannot have everything they want at current levels of taxation. Because if they do they’ll lose their seats. We have become a nation for whom everything that goes wrong is someone else’s fault. We demand Scandinavian levels of public services but moan like ■■■■ when we’re asked to pay for them. Political discourse has descended into name calling and abuse. [/quote]

Never a truer word said unfortunately.

Have a look at the pictures I posted.

The Public Order Unit (Gardaí) were in full riot gear and wearing balaclavas. They stood and kept the protesters away as a group of unknown private security men wearing all black clothing and also wearing balaclavas used an angle grinder to cut down the door and force their way in drag out the squatters.

The balaclaved private security blokes arrived in a white van that was previously used by the met police in Manchester.

ah okay so it was a mixture. sorry not really paying attention.

I thought we are near the top of rhe list for healthcare spending?