Irish Examiner - GAA Articles

Some wind blowing that day in fairness!

Fantastic photo that was.

DNA eh Dorothy…

What I like about that shot is that Kilkenny isn’t reacting in a negative way , he’s giving the ref no choice but to award the free and he’s keeping his focus . It’s as though Donaghy doesn’t matter , Donaghy’s like a an U12 player swinging out of an adult .

Kilkenny did his best to stay standing. If he’d so wished, he could have let Donaghy drag him down - instant black card. The yerras would do well to remembrr tthat.

There;s some good pieces in todays sports section, one is not yet available online, a big Kieran Shannon interview with Mickey Whelan, but here’s the other articles- will get the whelan interview up as soon as its available

In regards to the respect thing from Kerry , I’m not sure in their heart of hearts they will ever genuinely believe it or have it in regards to Dublin . Personally I’d view it as defeatism & I’d hope we never show them that ( respect ) ever again when we face them . Have the mindset we are better , don’t be complacent & the rest should take care of itself . It began in '11 and has been unabaited since . Long may it continue .

Michael Quirke with with his 10c on the game

They really love the shite that comes outta their mouths.

‘That constant defensive grappling by Barry enabled his partner David Moran to put on a masterclass that lit up the night more brightly that the bulbs illuminating Austin Stack Park’

So its defensive grappling now.

grapple
ˈɡrap(ə)l/
verb
gerund or present participle: grappling
engage in a close fight or struggle without weapons; wrestle.
"passers-by grappled with the man after the knife attack"
synonyms: wrestle, struggle, tussle; More
archaic
seize or hold with a grappling hook.

But he is right when he says

‘And I’m sure there are still some Kerry supporters who believe we are always the victims who are only defending ourselves against the thuggery of other counties. But that’s not always the reality’ Yis have been at it a long time now mickey boy.

But in saying al that I do respect Quirk. The best of the lot. Hopefully the next time they meet fenton does what he does best.

Would agree with you, Fenton will know what to expect next time , maybe Bernard Dunne might help him with that …

(Expecting a crescendo of derision from Bummer, Niceday etc) But if officials were doing their jobs this type of thuggery wouldn’t be effective. I know they haven’t got eyes in the back of their heads and even that wouldn’t be enough but there has not to be better protection for our players. If the answer is more officials or use of video evidence then let’s consider that. The fact that Lee Keegan gets PotY doesn’t help either and that’s not any ref’s fault!

It’s a shame that we often don’t get to see the skillful side of our game as this kind of tactic is increasingly employed and seemingly accepted.

I don’t actually know how anyone could be a ref these days!! There lads - I said it!

Really do think the citing works well in rugby - problem is it would mean televised matches generate more suspensions then non televised ones.

Plenty of officials at a GAA match, you’d think between them they could at least see who is initiating the fistycuffs.

Exactly… two umpires standing surely to jaysus they can flag (excuse the pun) to ref that a Kerry forward is acting the bollox on purpose

Quirky is just the light wing of the whole propaganda framework. What they have achieved over the past few years of relentless bias is to make it acceptable, the norm, for Dublin players to be treated differently to Kerry players for the same actions, or even lesser/more actions

I think Ulster players/teams suffered far more in the propaganda stakes in the Noughties than we currently are …

Fair point. But it’s hard to match the pure levels and depths of delusional and manipulative carry-on of the last 3 years or so. Whatever about comments like puke football, having it acceptable to say stuff like the DOSe did about Connolly, making it acceptable that other players should target him for attention of whatever sort needed to get him sent off, as Leeroy subsequently did, surely takes the tea and biscuits?

C[quote=“25AliveOh, post:518, topic:36, full:true”]

Fair point. But it’s hard to match the pure levels and depths of delusional and manipulative carry-on of the last 3 years or so. Whatever about comments like puke football, having it acceptable to say stuff like the DOSe did about Connolly, making it acceptable that other players should target him for attention of whatever sort needed to get him sent off, as Leeroy subsequently did, surely takes the tea and biscuits?
[/quote]
Agree fully , and they still have a mahooosive sense of entitlement , this notion of expecting frees in their favour to be automatically given , is gas . They are still waving hands and arms when the free goes against them , still rabbiting on . It’s great to see and it was there on Friday night . Long may it continue .

Are you sitting down Dub09?? I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. Existing officials should be doing their jobs and should be continuously passing on info to the ref. They are “wired up” and can immediately pass on info. However, technically, the ref cannot award a free based on their information (not saying it doesn’t happen!!) but can issue whatever cards deemed appropriate.

Are Croke Park rigid in their instructions to referees to clamp down on all foul play? If you watch any match you will lose count of how many “soft frees” are completely overlooked by the refs and these “soft frees” are getting “harder” and more physical by the day and are still not being penalised. Is it no wonder that the club player is disillusioned every week when penalised for these frees and they see the inter-county players constantly getting away with it. Almost like there are two separate rule books out there!!!

Are there more officials required? I don’t think so, there are enough around to see most of what happens on the pitch - if only they would act on it. Giving them more power is a completely different story.

Video evidence - for post match discipline - in my view, the more the better and it might reduce some of the thuggish behaviour.

TMO - The facilities are available in the bigger stadia, so why not use it for important decisions. You have a 4th official whose only function is to record the subs and monitor the mentors. Why not use him??

Fair play - Niceday - i was indeed sitting down but still fell off the chair!!

Some great points there and I think referees as much as fans want to see our games played properly and skills to come to the fore. Maybe it’s my blue tinted specs but I often think a Dublin player has to nearly get killed to get a free (if at all) whereas it doesn’t happen the other way around. The push on Philly for the 45 the other night was blatant yet …

I just feel we are being cheated of seeing this Dublin team playing anywhere near their potential because of poor officiating and that is not solely the refs fault. But when you get a first half like last Saturday night and pundits shrug it off as manly, combative, abrasive etc and ignore the rampant illegality and foul play then you got to be asking where the game is going.

I agree (no surprise)!

Dick Clerkin tweeted after the Kerry game that had it featured 2 Ulster sides it’d be all over the papers.

Listening to Marc O’Se the other night saying they’d to be cynical to beat dublin but that they aren’t really cynical makes Sean Spicer sounds rational.

I like Marc but some of the stuff he came out with in the after game analysis was ridiculous . He contradicted himself several times after Horan & Senan chirped up after his initial comments .