Get It Off Your Chest

Lots of change there … lots …

Shocked about that, they’ve made lots of improvements there the last couple of years. As for Dynasty, isn’t that on Collins Avenue?

Even the rats wore overalls.

No no no no no no

Trump 244 Clinton 215 with 42 of the states counted :scream:

Bloody 'ehhhhlllllllllllllll !

Leonard Cohen died last night, 82 years old . RIP.

Reading that it took him 5 years to write Hallelujah , released in 1984. You could pick so many great songs from his work , going back decades .

One of the best songwriter/poets ever,

So long, Mary-Ann…

RIP, Lenny.

Some more thoughts…

He wrote an awful lot of his songs to a waltz rhythm, kind of added to the poetic nature of his works.

I reckon in years to come, there will be findings of lots of un-published songs and poems written by Cohen.

Poignantly, I read today that the Marianne (I spelt her name wrong in my previous post) mentioned it that song was a lover from early in his life. She was diagnosed as terminally ill earlier this year and died, shortly after receiving a letter from Cohen that he wrote to her, on learning of her imminent death.

Why is Leonard Cohen’s death on the get it off your chest thread???

RIP anyway LC …

Probably should have had a RIP thread for the year, given so many famous/infamous people passed on.

Yes, should do this .

Incredible how many have gone. Has the world become a place for great people to escape from?

Lenny was one of my top 5 all-time favourites. Beeko mentioned the waltz theme and I think my favourite tunes of his were very much waltzy epics, like Take this Waltz, which were based on the culture, history & atmosphere of War-time Central Europe and/or Civil War Spain, with sometimes a gypsy flavour.
The Partisan was probably my favourite folky song, based on, I think, a South or Central American war/exile story. So glad I got to see him in Kilmainham a few years ago. Here’s a good live version of Take This Waltz, probably at his creative & performance peak, I just love the interaction with the backing singers later on:

Here’s a later one, better sound quality, with that gyspy sound. Great song, great perforamnce.

And here’s another recording of possibly the same Take This Waltz performance, but with the ending intact:

I went off on me ownio once to the little town in southern Spain where that poet Lorca was from, interesting adventure…

That yoke on the Late Late tonight. My Jeysus.

Flippin’ eck. I knew he had been battling The Big C for a while now, but its still a shock when you get the news. Felt so sorry for him, touring so relentlessly when he was so obviously unwell. His former manager stole every cent he had, God love him, he had no choice to go back out on the road, at an age when most of us would hope to have our feet up for good. But his loss was our gain. So without futher ado

PD’s Top LC Three

1. Tower of Song
  1. I’m Your Man. (Long Story :wink: )
  1. Jeff Buckleys version of Halleluiah (Sorry Len)

Back in the heyday of 2FM, before they went totally pop, they used to have Mark Cagney and Mike Moloney on doing the 10-12 and midnight shifts. I think Cagney’s show was called The Night Shift. They played the most amazeballs stuff and LC was always front and centre. Got me thru many a rough time during my college days. Len, you can always stick yer little pins in my vodoo doll !

The brilliant Robert Vaughn gone now :unamused::angry:

John Creedon continues to play a lot of his stuff, recalling his Rathmines/Ranelagh student, bedsit days.

2FM (or RTE Radio 2?) used to stop broadcasting at 1.50am every night before it went 24/7. Their sign-off tune used to be Moving Hearts’ May Morning Dew - a beautiful, haunting air on low whistle…

Now that was a serious bunch of supremely talented musicians. Davy Spillane in particular on that low D whistle as you so rightly said!

Now a lifeguard in West Clare, I believe. Still records music but rarely does live shows. A piper supreme, I actually prefer him on the low whistle.

I swear Id love 3 rounds of boxing with this shitebag. I’d let fly and not hold back.

This place has become a real bitch fest lately … might go into hibernation until the League starts …

Here - cheer up yis miserable sods …

My neighbour knocked on my door at 2:30 am this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 am?! Luckily for him I was still up playing my Bagpipes.

The Grim Reaper came for me last night, and I beat him off with a vacuum cleaner. Talk about Dyson with death.

A mate of mine recently admitted to being addicted to brake fluid. When I quizzed him on it he reckoned he could stop any time…

I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave. As I was standing there I noticed 4 grave diggers walking about with a coffin, 3 hours later and they’re still walking about with it. I thought to myself, they’ve lost the plot!!

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our local pet shop and they were £70!!! Blow this, I thought, I can get one cheaper off the web.

I was at an ATM yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance, so I pushed her over.

I start a new job in Seoul next week. I thought it was a good Korea move.

I was driving this morning when I saw an AA van parked up. The driver was sobbing uncontrollably and looked very miserable. I thought to myself that guy’s heading for a breakdown.

Paddy says “Mick, I’m thinking of buying a Labrador.” Sod that” says Mick “have you seen how many of their owners go blind?”

Man calls 999 and says “I think my wife is dead” The operator says how do you know? He says "Well the sex is the same but the ironing is building up!”

I saw a poor old lady fall over today on the ice!! At least I presume she was poor - she only had £1.20 in her purse.

I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid…then I was petrified.

I was explaining to my wife last night that when you die you get reincarnated but must come back as a different creature. She said I would like to come back as a cow. I said you’re obviously not listening.

The wife has been missing a week now. Police said to prepare for the worst. So I have been to the charity shop to get all her clothes back.

The wife was counting all the 1p’s and 2p’s out on the kitchen table when she suddenly got very angry and started shouting and crying for no reason. I thought to myself, “She’s going through the change.”

When I was in the pub I heard a couple of plonkas saying that they wouldn’t feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman. What a pair of sexist pigs. I mean, it’s not as if she’d have to reverse the bloomin thing

Local Police hunting the 'knitting needle nutter’, who has stabbed six people in the village in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Bought some ‘rocket salad’ yesterday but it went off before I could eat it!

A teddy bear is working on a building site. He goes for a tea break and when he returns he notices his pick has been stolen. The bear is angry and reports the theft to the foreman. The foreman grins at the bear and says "Oh, I forgot to tell you, today’s the day the teddy bears have their picks nicked "

Just got back from my mate’s funeral. He died after being hit on the head with a tennis ball. It was a lovely service!

You can kiss a nun once. You can kiss a nun twice. But don’t get into the habit.

Two nuns were out walking at midnight when they were approached by a vampire. The first said: “Show him your cross. Show him your cross.” The second shouted: “F**K OFF. YOU CREEPY BA…”