GAA Broadcasting Rights

Maybe I’m not an old dinosaur but I’m not against the GAA being on Sky or any other channel. Some of the arguments against it are ridiculous though.

You say people can’t watch their own county team without paying for the privilege. Should we get into Croke Park for free? I saw a picture of a protest outside a Sky game during the year and the turnstiles in the background. The irony was completely lost on them.

People were giving up their time to volunteer for years and years before they got to watch any matches on TV. It’s not so long ago that only the semi-finals and finals were the only games on TV so there isn’t a link between the two that you are trying to create now.

After coaching down the academy or at whatever level it is people can watch their national sport. There may be one game a week on Sky but there are other games on RTE the same weekend so its a complete fallacy to say people can’t watch their national sport.

And as for Irish jobs, Sky Ireland employ around 900 people in Ireland.

You do raise an interesting point describing TV3 as free to air for all GAA members. A lot of the people that continually raise objections to Sky on twitter, facebook or county councils as we have seen this year are not even members of the GAA. They may come from a GAA background and may go to the big games in the summer but they do not pay an annual membership to their club. These people feel the games belong to them yet refuse to pay their way. They essentially want something for nothing and feel entitled to it. I’m not accusing you of this but I’ve seen it my own circle of friends.

As an aside TV3 is not widely available in the north.

Funniest of all is that no one mentions Setanta or Eir now but maybe that’s because of the it’s only league mentality.

Its not pay per view. PPV is the boxing tonight which I didn’t buy although I was regretting that while sitting through the Ray Darcy show.

I wouldn’t describe my acceptance of GAA on subscription tv as a shrug shoulders acceptance. I think its well thought out. I think the GAA should be maximising the commercial revenue it gets from its own games. Remember these broadcasters aren’t doing it for the love of the game. They’re in it to make money and it’s only right and fair that the lions share of what the broadcasters can make goes to the GAA which can then be reinvested in social capital in communities across Ireland.

Lastly. Insomnia is a ■■■■

Fair play TallaghtDub - let’s discuss … insomnia aside!

Maybe I’m not an old dinosaur but I’m not against the GAA being on Sky or any other channel. Some of the arguments against it are ridiculous though.

You say people can’t watch their own county team without paying for the privilege. Should we get into Croke Park for free? I saw a picture of a protest outside a Sky game during the year and the turnstiles in the background. The irony was completely lost on them.

No offence but you are now comparing two absolutely and ridiculously different things here.

People were giving up their time to volunteer for years and years before they got to watch any matches on TV. It’s not so long ago that only the semi-finals and finals were the only games on TV so there isn’t a link between the two that you are trying to create now.

Again - lost here - I am not creating any link and don’t understand your point

After coaching down the academy or at whatever level it is people can watch their national sport. There may be one game a week on Sky but there are other games on RTE the same weekend so its a complete fallacy to say people can’t watch their national sport.

And as for Irish jobs, Sky Ireland employ around 900 people in Ireland.

Maybe I should have said can’t watch all their national sport - but the principle holds. Do you not see a danger here that the better (more lucrative games) will become pay per view over time once the acceptance has been gained? And RTE could end up with the Div 4 type games while pay per view gets the rest … that is the reality behind the concept.

You do raise an interesting point describing TV3 as free to air for all GAA members. A lot of the people that continually raise objections to Sky on twitter, facebook or county councils as we have seen this year are not even members of the GAA. They may come from a GAA background and may go to the big games in the summer but they do not pay an annual membership to their club. These people feel the games belong to them yet refuse to pay their way. They essentially want something for nothing and feel entitled to it. I’m not accusing you of this but I’ve seen it my own circle of friends.

Is the GAA an amateur organisation? Simple question.

As an aside TV3 is not widely available in the north.

Funniest of all is that no one mentions Setanta or Eir now but maybe that’s because of the it’s only league mentality.

Its not pay per view. PPV is the boxing tonight which I didn’t buy although I was regretting that while sitting through the Ray Darcy show.

If I pay a subscription to receive a channel (though I accept that RTE requires a licence fee but they are the ‘national broadcaster’) then that is absolutely pay per view.

I wouldn’t describe my acceptance of GAA on subscription tv as a shrug shoulders acceptance. I think its well thought out. I think the GAA should be maximising the commercial revenue it gets from its own games. Remember these broadcasters aren’t doing it for the love of the game.

Of course they’re not !!! But who is paying for their love of the game - You and me are - do you not see that!!!

They’re in it to make money and it’s only right and fair that the lions share of what the broadcasters can make goes to the GAA which can then be reinvested in social capital in communities across Ireland.

Agree - but define social capital here for me please. If GAA volunteers coach/volunteer a few hours every week (incalculable social capital) and then their own organisation seeks to make money on the back of these volunteers by visiting TV subscriptions on them - is that right and fair??

Lastly. Insomnia is a ■■■■ [Agreed]

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of it, the GAA needs to be careful, rugby union in Australia is in serious decline, some people think it’s because they game is no longer on free to air TV. (know the GAA still have a huge number of games free to air).

Not sure it was strictly a monetary based decision @Dub09 the loot offered by tv3 and sky was similar.

Apart from the Sky thing, I would have a big issue with GAAGO, it is clear over the years that it is a very hit and miss set up, you cannot be expecting people to pay for a service that is constantly buffering, I know it works well at times, but that is beside the point, if you cannot guarantee a service, don’t charge for it. Any time I complained I got the usually answers, try this and that and if it doesn`t work get in contact with your internet supplier.
Last year I want back to getting streams or applications that in general worked much better, so clearly the internet is not the only issue.

I find myself agreeing with Tallaghdub’s points and then agreeing with Dub09’s counterarguments. But then didn’t someone say that the ability to hold two contradictory views is a sign of genius? It’s a complex issue and I am in favour of whatever is best for our games in the long run. The GAA generally does the right thing even if it takes a long time to get there.

Its not two ridiculously different things. Why is it ok to charge people to watch a match in person but not ok to charge them to watch it on tv?

You ask is the GAA an amateur organisation after my paragraph about freeloaders. I’m not sure why but the answer is yes.

You clearly don’t understand the meaning of pay per view.

I personally have no problem paying for my love of the game. I’ll buy tickets for Croke Park most weeks during the summer regardless of who’s playing. I don’t mind paying for Sky. I don’t have Eir at the minute but I’ll get it back in once the league starts again.

The GAA aren’t seeking to make money on the back of these volunteers. They do not have to buy a subscription if they don’t want to. The GAA makes the same amount of money regardless of how many subscriptions Sky sell.

Obviously social capital is people/networks etc but they need facilities to operate out of which is what I was referring to in my original post.

We don’t actually know if free to air stations bid for the rights to the 14 game Sky package this time. TV3 haven’t made any statement saying they were disappointed to lose out. RTE definitely didn’t because they can’t afford to. Maybe the only bidder was Sky?

Personally I think people are giving the broadcasters an easy out by blaming the GAA. We should be asking why these Irish broadcasters (free to air or not) aren’t willing to break the bank to secure rights to our national sport

I agree. I last tried to use it in 2015 but found it very poor. DCR had to send me on the full matches via dropbox which was very much appreciated at the time

My understanding is that RTÉ neither last time or this time wanted nor would pay for all fifty odd games. There were major issues with TV3 when the last contract was negotiated. They still owed money from previous contracts and looked like they were going to the wall. Sky were indeed the only other bidders in 2013. I don’t know about this time.

It’s also worth noting that the games on RTÉ aren’t exactly free to air. Unless you don’t pay your TV license of course.

I guess I manage it…

Increasingly it seems to me that decisions are taken at HQ that are based solely on commercial considerations and nothing else – money has become king. This is in total contrast to the very raison d’etre of the association and flies in the face of the very ethos of the GAA. There is an increasing disconnect between those at the very top in Croke Park and the grassroot members of the organisation.

As said, commerciality is king. We see it in things like the Sky deal and we see it in the increasing gulf appearing between the intercounty cash cow and the grassroots club game.

The GAA is not like soccer or rugby – or at least it is not supposed to be. Its genesis and tradition is completely different but this has changed considerably in recent times. Not for the better IMO. It seems to me that sight has been lost of why the organisation was founded, its ethos, its purpose. Increasingly it’s all about the money and if money is the bottom line then something has gone badly wrong.

A big problem for me with the sky deal, is the the amount of exclusive games they get, very few really, so let’s a take person that has little interest in other sports or whatever sky do, are they expected to pay the full whack of a sky subscription, just to be able to see a few exclusive games, most of which would not even involve their own county. You are being charged for rugby soccer and others sports when all you really want to see is the handful of GAA games that Sky have a right to.

The gaa may be an amateur organisation but it costs a lot of money to hire all the various coaches each club has access to. If that means that games end up on sky TV but the overall standard of players and coaching at juvenile level improves so be it

The vast majority of coaches are volunteers … who then may have to pay in some instances to see the players they may have coached.

While an amateur association, it still takes a lot of money to get the facilities most clubs have. Or would you prefer jumpers for goals?

My problem would not be with the money, but more what people are getting for their money. The GAA are selling the games to a company, but the company in question is forcing the consumer to buy much more than the games. I know that is how pay for view works, but it does leave the person that is only really interested in a specific game or sport in a situation where they either have to pay a hell of a lot to see what they want to see or just give it a miss.

But how much money does the GAA need to ‘make’? Is it all about money now yeah? Anyway there are plenty of other avenues to ‘make’ money without making some games unavailable to be seen by members who volunteer a lot of time and energy to the Association. Its 14 games exclusively now. Perhaps that’s the thin end of the wedge. Who is to say that in a few deals from now Sky won’t get all the games? If its all about money then they will surely outbid RTE when it suits. Then what?

I see it as a matter of principle - granted the horse has bolted now - but to me it’s against the basic fundamentals and ethos of the GAA.

The government will make sure that, in general, the games remain free to air, particularly the finals and semi finals.

That was said in the past about other sports but didn’t happen. Nothing to stop the same happening.

Such as?