Europa League 2018/19

West Indies??

WIn

It’s getting like the Irish times cryptic crossword round here .

It’s very dark in Lux tonight - Bene too I reckon. Can’t wait for Friday.

HT :tr: Besiktas 0 :belgium: Genk 1

What a terrible first half for the Turkish outfit. Offering next to nothing going forward. Genk had a half chance when Ruslan Malinovskiy’s long range shot went wide of goal. They took the lead on a brilliant counter attack team goal. Finnish left-back Jere Uronen playng the ball back to Joseph Paintsil who rolled the ball ahead to Malinovskiy. A love pirouette spin from the Ukrainian as he poked the ball ahead to Dieumerci N’Dongala who tapped back for the captain Alejandro Pozuelo. Pozuelo played the ball the wide into acres of space for Danish U-21 right back Joakim Maehle. Maehle put in a terrific cross for Tanzanian Mbwana Samatta to hammer home into the roof of the net past Loris Karius. They could of made it 2 but Samatta’s curled effort was saved by Karius and pushed far away from goal. Some neat work by Pozuelo playing Samatta in behind but he was caught in two minds whether to pass or shoot. In the end a harmless shot that N’Dongala couldn’t turn in at the back post. Bryan Heynen has made some good tackles in the middle of the park to disrupt Besiktas at times. He’s filled in well for the injured Sander Berge.

FT :tr: Besiktas 2 :belgium: Genk 4

What an exciting second half but one that would of been excruciating for Besiktas. Genk played a lot more like a team throughout this whole match. They nearly doubled their lead when Joseph Paintsil got in behind after Uronen’s through ball was missed by Chilean Enzo Roco but Paintsil’s shot was harmless in the end. Then Malinovskiy played a lovely through ball to Pozuelo but again they were unable to finish. But the current table toppers in Belgium kept on coming and eventually got that all important 2nd goal. Joakim Maehle winning the ball in his own half. Playing a 1-2 with Malinovskiy who eventually played Maehle into loads of space. The young Dane making a swashbuckling run going forward eventually crossing to the back post for that man Samatta once more who just beat the goalie at the near side. A brace away from home for the Tanzanian and there was still more to come from him. With 20 minutes to go it seemed Besiktas had finally woken up. Off a short corner Caner Erkin over hit a cross but Gokhan Gonul was able to nod the ball back into the middle of area turned home neatly by sub Vagner Love. Game on but Genk would respond with head coach Phillipe Clement making two important changes with big Senegal d-mid Ibrahima Seck and young Polish winger Jakub Piotrowski getting their first minutes of any significance since the 1st round cup win over Lommel well over a month ago now. Piotrowski immediately involved as his cross to Samatta just headed over. Samatta had to arch back to generate power on it but couldn’t keep the header down. Seck picked the ball up in his own half. Left it for Malinovskiy who poked the ball neatly ahead for N’Dongala who skipped away from his defender Domagoj Vida and scored. They would get a 4th when Seck dribbled the ball all the way into the final third and rolled the ball ahead for Samatta. Samatta’s cross to the back post met by the head of Piotrowski who just squeezed it in at the near post via a deflection off of Caner Erkin. The host nearly responded again when Roco got a clean header off a Quaresma corner but Genk goalie Danny Vukovic made the stop. Besiktas would get one back late on with Mustapha Pektemk crossing and Vagner Love heading in for his 2nd goal and Quaresma had an effort palmed away by Vukovic late on but all in all an excellent performance from the away side who are now top of group I. The other match finished 1-1 between Sarpsborg and Malmo.

Yeh I did my geogo homework once too but whats your particular interest or connection?

They’re in the Champions’ League, aren’t they?

Salt lake?

Bit cool here in Dudelange - and dark. Lots of Greeks around but none apparently bearing gifts so nothing much to be wary about.

If we can get in among them early doors and get it wide around the back I see no reason why our full backs can’t push on and get some quality ball into the middle and hopefully we can put one or two in the onion sack.

Fans a bit down in the dumps. We need Trevor and his throbbing trombone to introduce a bit of wind into proceedings. Rodney told me the fans have written to Jessica asking her to be their actor ambassador. Ohm might be able to help here.

Ah feck Vasilis Torosidis has just put the flipping Geeks ahead. You could’ve cut the silence with a knife except for the few hundred Geeks cheering. Very dark here.

All over here - Jordanov put through his own goal. Pushing for an equaliser and get caught with a sucker punch. Fritz says they haven’t won a game with me here … yikes. Mood here as dark as the sky …

Is that you standing in the third row? With the vuvuzela?

That’s not a vuvuzela, he’s with his well endowed boyfriend.

I am behind him … lovely here this morning though.

sky

That would explain the horrible sound. Even worse than a vuvuzela.

I thought it was a picture of his taxi driver that dropped him to Dublin airport

Eh?

Anderlecht need a win badly in Turkey tonight to keep their hopes of qualifying from this group after throwing a 2 goal lead away vs Fenerbahce 2 weeks ago…

Move back a bit from the edge there …