Dublin U21 Hurling 2018

Not sure I’d be happy to be them in that scenario either!

The first 2 rounds are a play-in to the quarterfinal. Also if Dublin make it to Leinster final and lose they will still be in all-ireland semi-final against munster runners-up.

It is crazy, but in this instance it might suit us just perfectly. We get to fine tune a team and others get to go in cold.

Next week against WM is a worry though. Still without leaving cert players and possibly without injured seniors.

We absolutely need a reliable free taker for when it gets serious, we struggled again tonight. But apart from that, we have strength in every position when everyone is available.

THE GAA random competition app strikes again.

agreed , a team can be tuned, fine tuned etc. beats training and challenge games all day long

Much rather our schedule for sure.

Good win, comfortable enough in the end.

Dublin: D Perry; C Hendricken, S Howard, P Smyth; E Conroy (0-2), C Burke (0-1), D Gray; J McGuirk (0-1), D Keogh (0-1); C Dowling (0-1), E Dunne (1-3), R Hayes (0-1); C Currie (0-4, 0-3 frees), C O’Sullivan (1-0), P Crummey (1-2).

Subs: J McVeigh for Smyth (27); C Costello (1-1) for Dowling (h/t); S McCaw (0-1) for Keogh (37); O Lanigan for McGuirk (42).

Just had a look at the new structure to this tournament. We have a serious chance this year with the team we have, esp with our Senior team out soon and the focus able to turn fully to U21. Galway will likely play Kilkenny in one Semi-Final thereby eliminating one of them. Wexford will be our first challenge and once we get past them it will be a Leinster Final but the main point this year is Leinster runners-up go through to AI Semis also. In Munster it doesn’t appear like there is a strong team this year which gives us a great chance of making an A.I. final.

The draw is favourable games betting progressively more difficult, looks like we have a few different people who can step up and get scores, which we’ll need, can’t be too reliant on one or two players. Dunne and Costello didn’t start the last day and scored 1-03 and 1-01 respectively - that’s good stuff, albeit against a struggling opposition.

Should get better as well with the leaving cert lads and burke hopefully fit soon.

Westmeath have had a few good minor teams recently, so they’ll be a step up from carlow, then Wexford game is huge.

did anyone go along? Would be interested to know who stood out - great spread of scorers.

Yep I was there Tayto. To be honest, they were so much on top it is hard to pick anyone out. Hayes did stand out probably when the game was still competitive. Carlow moved their no. 6 onto him early enough, but he still did well. Conroy imposed himself on the game very well.

The two corner forwards were good, although Currie wasn’t great on the frees. O Sullivan showed flashes of skill, but maybe wasn’t super involved. Dunne at centre half forward was very good. He seems lightening fast, I am not sure if that was because his marker was slow, but I suspect he is fast. I really have no idea where they are going to fit all the forwards when everyone is available.

The backs had very little to do, but what they had to do they did well. The two wing backs did have to handle the opposition puck outs which they did with ease. Although Conroy was going with his hurl more then his hand. Burke at CHB maybe had better games, he could be a bit slow for the centre (but he was excellent against Laois).

But Dublin were just too far ahead physically of Carlow to make a proper judgement of anything. There were loads of times Carlow guys just dropped the ball through just contact being made on them.

I really like Perry in goal, his puckouts are very cool and very accurate. @alanoc will be pleased to know there were four Vincents guys on the field at the end of the game!

But the scoreline nearly flatters Carlow, we could have scored at will in the second half.

I see this tweet (it is a parody account of sorts, but the guy is well enough respected I think)

Perry should be in goal for Dublin for a very long time after Nolan goes!

Thanks for the write up @Wifi

isn’t one Denis Joseph Carey in charge of Kilkenny this year?

He is I think, but they will be hard pushed to get over Galway

Westmeath v Dublin
Cusack Park, Mullingar 7.30pm

We won’t have the leaving cert lads back for this and if we get over this one, the wexford game is on Wed the 20th - but there are still exams running till that friday 22nd - physics, economics etc … so might not have them back by then either.

Others will likely be missing one or two also. I think we’ll have well enough to get past Westmeath and enough for Wexford who will likely not have access to Senior panellists as Davy would not be the type to release

Wexford game is at home. May have some lads back.

Is that venue confirmed? It s supposed to be a neutral one according to the Leinster GAA site.

That info also from Leinster GAA site! :roll_eyes::joy:

Good stuff, might be needing them.