Dublin Senior Hurling 2018 - The Pat Gilroy Era

I’m sure that’s why Anthony Cunningham was added to the ticket.

One would imagine so anyway!

Is Anthony Cunningham noted as a coach in Galway?

You’d need to consult a rational Galway hurling fan with a balanced view of the hurling abilities of their players to answer that fairly. I’ve yet to meet one. To listen to them, every manager between Cyril Farrell and Michael Donohue was an incompetent moron who robbed them of the multiple All-Irelands they were destined to win. You know, cos they won all those Minors.

Good point :joy:

You wouldn’t say that about Galway fans if Bart was here …

You wouldn’t be laughing about Bart’s views on Galway fans if you had to deal with the amount of libel suits the lads running this site have received from ‘itinerants’.

Your seething is a joy, I could light my fire from it. Keep it up.

No indeed - he held them in the same esteem as yourself!

Is that a serious statement? This collection of players is unique in cualas history,a perfect storm of maturity,well drilled players from a young age,all brought up in the club/schools/intercounty system. Most,if not all have represented Dublin at intercounty level,and Kerry. A big number have been involved with Dublin at senior level for a number of years. All this before Kenny became involved. And previous cuala management teams,like a lot of teams in Dublin,were given a bag of balls and a set of jerseys and told to go win a championship. They ,or the players back then,didn’t have the luxury of a 6 figure budget to improve them dramatically over time. I think Kenny won nothing with cuala in his first season so he’s been backed to the hilt as well,which always helps. I’ve stated elsewhere that cuala has been as good to him as he’s been to them as he’s found himself in a perfect set up. He wants the Galway job,but for all those fighting his corner its seems to be forgotten that he’s been rejected twice by his own county,once when he was axed as their coach,and twice when he went up against O’Donoghue for the full managers position. What does that tell us ? Are the Galway CB as inept as the Dublin CB ,or did they both see something that got the alarm bells ringing?
Gilroys remit is for 3 years,not 3 months. He has approached the job with total honesty and integrity towards the better players in Dublin and given them all game time to prove themselves,or not. He’s steadied the ship and has gone some way in repairing the fractured dressing room of the last few years. He’s had to deal with a colossal absence of players from injury to cualas incredible achievement. He’s taken some beatings but qualified for the knockout stages of the league and kept our div 1b status with a skeleton squad. He’s learned an awful lot about the players under his stewardship. He’s been fair and evenhanded with the squad. He has a lot of players still to come in. There is now true competition for places from 1-15. ( on a side note I was very impressed with the accuracy of Sean brennans puckouts over the two club finals. He should be drafted) Gilroy and the set up now has some tasty club championshipgames to get his teeth into and no doubt he’ll be looking for leaders in those games.
Combine the forthcoming hard fought club games with the bouncibility of cualas win and the influx of players on a high along with the returning injured players and a panel that knows spots 1-15 are up for grabs for Dublin at senior championship level and you have a situation any management team in the country would love to be in. The training is going to be savage and the ones who want it the most will emerge. Perfect scenario.
With regards to a perceived lack of a game plan, maybe,just maybe,Gilroy understands some important characteristics needed in a county player,ie,onfield game management /awareness and onfield leadership. If a player is looking to the sidelines for answers,he has no right being on the pitch. From what I see happening Gilroy is finding out what lads has the intelligence for county hurling and he’s doing it in an extremely astute way.
Everyone should remember that Gilroy inherited a basket case of a situation when he took over and so far we have seen him hit more targets than miss,as I’ve written above. 3 months in to a 3 year job, he’s not done to badly with what he’s got.

At this stage it looks like you are searching for reasons on why it was a bad call. I think we get the main jist of your point, Gilroy has no hurling experience and was chosen over a guy who has had a lot of success at club level. That is a valid point, and we won’t know if it works out for a while. But over egging it by saying that future Dublin hurling managers will be worried about the likes of, say, Pillar Caffery getting the job just makes no sense.

Your main point has some merit, but a) it is way too early to call it a good or bad decision yet, b) the absence of half the team makes passing judgement on the last three months redundant really, c) what is ‘obvious’ to the outsider isn’t always so cut and dried with a bit more knowledge. I reference @URoy post above.

Personally I don’t think Gilroy is any genius. I think he is logical and confident. He will have a plan and people and methods in place to make it come to fruition. I think that is probably what we need after the last few years. If Kenny is so keen to be the Dublin manager (rather then the manager of a county team), the job will be there in three years, and it could be a very, very good job to have at that stage.

Excellent and fair post. Can’t realy judge Gilroy after 3 months especially considering all the various factors he has had to contend with so far.

Was right beside it. Some noise from it. Full force. Heard the medic saying it was a broken foot after he went off.

Pity, Crummy is the one leader on the pitch when other heads are down.

To quote, ‘you have a situation any management team in the country would love to be in…’ . Have you been at the booze?

…‘With regards to a perceived lack of a game plan, maybe,just maybe,Gilroy understands some important characteristics needed in a county player,ie,onfield game management /awareness and onfield leadership. If a player is looking to the sidelines for answers,he has no right being on the pitch. From what I see happening Gilroy is finding out what lads has the intelligence for county hurling and he’s doing it in an extremely astute way’…Sorry but that is unintelligible waffle. Is there a game plan or not? If there is, how do you know? Please explain it to us. Also, how exactly is Gilroy testing his players’ intelligence so astutely? If you are saying that having no game plan is the intelligence test, then I worry about you and Gilroy. Your post was warm and fuzzy. It felt lovely but was very waffly. I’m looking forward to hearing about the plan that you have spotted.

Paul Schutte missing now for this year. Crummy suspected broken foot. Rushe injured, Boland injured, Conroy injured, Hetherton injured, Dillon injured, Connolly injured, Kelly trying to come back from injury, AJ Murphy injured. It is insane. If you include Bennett who isn’t available, practically all of the guys who shone at under age in recent years are out. With the injuries, Cuala and the losses to football, it is a credit we have a team at all.;

Maybe they should just go through the motions this year and concentrate on getting everyone back next year. Under Daly we had the few cruciates (and motorbike accident), but other then that we seemed to be in good shape injury wise.

The impact looked to be on his shin, I thought it was his tib/fib that took the brunt of the blow. I’d be surprised if it broke a bone in his foot

You seem to have the inside track, which I don’t. That sounds amazing. Kenny didn’t get it because of holes in his CV? Talk about a tough crowd! So he coached Galway to a beaten All Ireland replay against possibly the best team of all time who were at the peak of their powers, and who still managed to win two further All Irelands in the next three years even when they were on the slide.

Then he actually goes and makes the commitment to manage in the Dublin club scene. Gets to a Leinster final (in year two I think). Then the following year they win the All Ireland, winning all of the matches outside Dublin by big margins.

If that is not impressive I don’t know what is?

That’s not to mention what has happened since he didn’t get the Dublin job. To draw the first day and then finish like they did on Saturday is the polar opposite of what I have been watching a majority of Dublin teams do for the last 30 years at both senior and underage level. The norm is losing when you have a narrow lead in a match, and rarely coming from behind to win. That’s without mentioning Cuala’s lack of hail mary shot wides, which is normally a Dublin teams’ trait.

Did the County Board actually think it was too good to be true?!

Every throw in now seems to have a player/players putting the leg out to get an advantage and obviously trying to control the ball. I didnt see yesterdays incident close enough, but did Crummey do this?

Crummy put his leg exactly how you mentioned but the Tipp lad imo pulled to cause damage.

He did. Seemed to get it on the ankle. If put your leg across the ball at a throw in you got to live with the consequences. Danny threw the timber around a few times as well in similar situations yesterday.