Dublin Senior Hurling 2018 - The Pat Gilroy Era

True, I think he was a full back when we didn’t have too many other options. Himself and Boland alternated for a while, and I don’t think either of them would have been natural full backs.

Think he meant the older Currie

Mention of Currie there prompted me to look at last years u21 team v Kilkenny (team list below). Most of them have got a run out in recent games I think. Some have done well. It had the makings of a good team, a pity they got KK so early. But Currie was actually the one that did any damage that was done on the day, McBride was next best I would say.

1. Jonathan Treacy (Na Fianna)
  2. Daire Gray (Whitehall Colmcille)
  3. Shane Barrett (Na Fianna)
  4. Jack O’Neill (St Brigid’s)
  5. Cian Hendricken (Naomh Mearnóg)
  6. Jake Malone (Cuala)
  7. Paul O’Dea (Na Fianna)
  8. Brian Bolger (St Vincent’s)
  9. Donal Burke (Na Fianna)
  10. Eoghan Conroy (St Maur’s)
  11. Fergal Whitely (Kilmacud Crokes)
  12. Conor Burke (St Vincent’s)
  13. Colin Currie (Na Fianna)
  14. Rian McBride (St Vincent’s)
  15. Pól Crummey (Lucan Sarsfields)

Steady now!

Had the makings of an outstanding team and had 21s management been left alone by Cunningham who knows. We will however get a number of senior players for Dublin off that team and year previous which is good going. This years u21 team will also be very very good and have a kind draw.

Seniors playing DCU tonight. Any ressers thoughts/updates etc would be appreciated to those not brave enough for that weather.

Keaney played at 13 and showed occasional glimpses of his old self. Seems to have trimmed down a bit. Played for about 50 minutes.
Joey Boland also came on - when you seem him close up he actually looks as if he has spent the last 2 years in the gym - built like a tank! Seems to have a bit of pace also.
DCU are a pretty decent and gave Dublin a good challenge especially in the first half despite the awful conditions.

Keaney had a fitness regime for the winter so he ought to be in good shape.

Who else lines out @Boss? Any of the injured/new faces get a run?

Full back same as Sunday except Bellew in for Hendricken. James Madden and the younger McBride started at wing back.
Glen Whelan started with Tom Connolly at midfield. Robbie Mahon started centre forward with Moore at wing.Trollier full forward with Keaney and Winter’s either side of him. Winters got on a lot of ball and was back on the free’s.
For a game of no consequence, on an awful January night, it was fairly competitive. It was obvious anyone who got a run were really trying hard to impress!!

how did Mahon go at 11?

The younger McBride played with DCU as did Donal Burke, Daire Gray, Fergal Whitely.
3-18 to 2-18 to Dublin. Entertaining schtuff

In fairness to Winters he only came off frees on Sunday because he took 2 which he missed with in a minute of getting horsed out of it by a bad foul by Wexford defender. So was clearly in a bit of distress while taking them! Good to see his confidence wasn’t knocked on Sunday though.

DCU will fancy their chances this year in Fitzgibbon with the players they have available? Very strong Wexford contingent also.

Sounds like they’ve a pretty good bunch, will be interesting to see how they get on.

Thought they were good last, think they have a few off the Waterford panel as well.
They are playing one of the Limerick colleges next week and that will tell where they are really at!

Colin Currie, Conor Burke, Paul ODea, Paul Kelly, Sean Gray, Shane Howard, Eoghan ODonnell, (Conroy injured) also involved there. Its like a Dublin Nursery if you know what I mean. I know plenty of lads on here don’t like the third level stuff, but a lot of these players are getting a lot of good hurling from it.

Playing LIT away on Sunday. Pa Curran is the Waterford lad, scored a good goal last night.

James Madden was number 7 last night and played well. Do you know who the other wing back was? I thought it was McBride

DIT have Conor Ryan and 3 or 4 Dublin lads as well all getting experience playing top opposition only my opinion but I think it’s better than under 21 at least they are certain to play 3 games not training all year lose the first round and out

I think Seanie McClelland is with them also - a huge loss to the current Dublin set up in my opinion.