Dublin Senior Footballers 2019

He has 5 All Irelands. 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Not to mention a couple of club ones

2011 doesn’t count. It was stolen.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/294050

I never really understood the absence of Shane Carthy to be honest. When you see him at O Byrne Cup stuff he is head and shoulders above most other players. Maybe lacked a bit of fitness, but that could be a harsh judgement.

I think he has the capability to be a special player, not just a workhorse midfielder. That last year he had at u21 before he got unwell he was playing teams on his own - and that was a good team.

But Gavin seems to see midfielders differently to others. O Conghaile would have been a star player in a lot of counties.

Kerry forgot to turn up for 2015 final as well :joy::joy:

The two of them are quality, from what Ive seen with o conghaile in senior championship hes a very capable player and a standout for Lucan
Carthy is quality as well and hopefully he gets a go, in the O byrne cup on Saturday maybe ?
Theres Reddin and darren gavin I suppose as well as midfield options
In a terrible event of Fento getting injured one of these lads would have increased importance in the squad or maybe Jim would pick mccarthy and howard in the middle

I suspect, that Darren Gavin is more Jim Gavin’s idea of a midfielder. I know Eamonn Fennell isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but Gavin dropped him from the panel immediately on taking over. It must be one of the few cases where a guy goes from starting an AI semi final to being dropped from the panel without a game in between. I am not saying if Gavin was right or wrong, but it was as strong a statement on the type of player a guy wants as you could ever see.

O Conghaile was one of the best under age midfielders I have ever seen. He had one year at u21 where he was unplayable. I thought he actually got too aggressive in tackling and was giving away fouls, but that was maybe just a case of trying harder and harder to make the squad. A loss to the hurlers too - I assume it’s too late for that now…

I’ve lost count at this stage😂

Yeah Darren will probably get a shot on Saturday against Meath as he played in the underdogs and Sean Cox games. It will be interesting to see how he goes as he was excellent in the u21 final in 2017 so theres obviously talent there

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/294046
McBrearty will be back from injury in time for championship hes a brilliant footballer was really missed by Donegal in the super 8s last year

[quote=“Wifi, post:229, topic:4311”]
. I know Eamonn Fennell isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but Gavin dropped him from the panel immediately on taking over. It must be one of the few cases where a guy goes from starting an AI semi final to being dropped from the panel without a game inbetween

the DJing was a distraction

Diarmuid has an All Ireland colleges medal too which is a brilliant one to have. Played rather well the same day too.

Think Eamo had a few other distractions at the time alright . Jim probably wasn’t having any of it .

Still he won that ball against Donaghy… I’ll be ever gratful for that! I would have had in the panel at least.

Nope that one was the rain. Doesn’t count either.

If EF was a flyer like Jack Mc, or a Berno in waiting like Paul Mannion, would he have been more tolerant of EF not fitting the archetype GAA player mould? According to several players, Jim seems fairly understanding when it comes to other things players have going on in their lives.

Get the impression he didn’t share the same work ethic . No harm , theses life outside inter county football.

His work ethic was good enough for Pat Gilroy though. Which has to count for a lot, no? And wouldn’t he have been on the Dublin panel long before he decided to jump the wall & become a naturalized citizen of Marinoistan?

(Just in case I was ever brave enough to suggest that his…er…citizenship status - or lack thereof - would ever impact his making a panel. Perish the thought. :wink:)

I think bastick having the Indian summer probably made it easier to let fennel go. Still fennel was worth a place in the panel considering O’Mahony got there (and that’s not a slight on O’Mahony)

I think he maybe was the archetype type GAA player for a lot of counties, just Gavin’s type is different.

I reckon there are a few guys around Dublin not on the county team that would be relatively big names in other counties and there are guys on the team who wouldn’t be on much lesser teams. Gavin seems to be prioritizing skill sets that other managers aren’t.