Late getting into the S.B. v C match yesterday; Parking was impossible. As for trying to find a good vantage point, that proved difficult also.
What is the DCB doing playing 2 key matches, straight after each other, and on a small pitch more suited to football.
Talking to a lady friend, she was livid no public toilets were open and it took her a while to establish the only female toilet was upstairs.
Anyway back to the match;
Brigids were fired up for the match, probably the most physical Dublin team in size and in the tackle. In fairness most of the tackles were fair, however the ref and his officials should’ve acted earlier with some early yellows to both teams. The Reds, at the start of the game are always unfortunate.
Cuala are not the team of last year; their conceding goals and are spending a lot of match time scoreless.
Whilst Cuala hit a good spell at the start of the second half, they still managed to miss a penalty (brilliant save), a couple of handy frees and over exuberant shots that blazed wide.
Brigids galloped through the Cuala middle third on numerous occasions, this was an ominous sign and with 5 minutes to go Brigids were fully deserved for being in front.
The result went Cuala’s way on 5 key pivotal issues;
- The early sending off, Paul was a huge loss, Brigids may have won had he not initially struck Sheanon.
- Cuala Goals at vital stages.
- Cuala substitutions; DOC, Mark and the re-introduction of COC, gave stability and penetration in the second half.
- Composure; even when the game seemed gone; Brigids leading by 2 within the last 4-5 minutes, Cuala once again built from the back for key scores.
- Fitness; Cuala always finish strong; they don’t look muscle bound but can tackle hard, the lady doing the S&C is obviously doing a great job.
So can Vinnies beat Cuala?; YES, but they’ll have to repeat what Brigids did, but keep all key players on the field.
Cuala have dropped their work-rate and all opposing teams have lifted their performances against the A.I.C.
Crokes for the title.
P.S. How did John O’Loughlin play with a straight red from the previous game?