Dublin Panel 2018

Fair play to Berno, he seems to have a brilliant attitude, he clearly sees that ten or fifteen minutes of game time can be of huge importance in the modern game and knows that more than likely that will be his role. To have that attitude after all the years he has been involved and after being more or less one the main stars of the team for years is a credit to him and to the mindset Jim Gavin has given these lads.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/senior-footballers-to-face-ucd-in-official-opening-of-billings-park

I wonder what sort of a team they will have out. I assume it will be the O Byrne cup squad (also assuming we are having a different squad this year again)

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/278663

Interesting that MDMA is playing a bit of basketball. No harm him getting back his fitness ahead of next year. Good that he’s injury free as well. I hope he’s around for us next year.

Anyone got a list of the team/panel from the game Vs UCD?

It’s on Sportsfile if you want a photo!

Cheers, struggling to make out a few faces in it though!

Very experimental team anyone have a list of players .

Not sure but Costello and David Byrne played from the first team squad. Also interesting to see Emmett o Conghaile there. I’d imagine he’ll be given another chance to shine in January…

Lorcan Molloy is the gk? Shane Carthy from Mearnog, McGowan - Crokes, McHugh…is that Fenton back row on the right?

DUBLIN: JB Carthy; E O’Brien, S McMahon, C Wilson; C Doyle, D Byrne, M Tighe; S Carthy, R Deegan; C Reddin, C Basquel, K Callaghan; A Rogers, C Costello, C McHugh. Subs: R McGowan, G Hannigan, D Devereux, S Ryan, E O Conghaile, A Elliott, G O’Reilly, K Doherty.

I know most of the more recognizable names there, but could anyone put clubs to that list? Cheers

JB Carthy - St Jude’s
E O’Brien - Castleknock
S McMahon- Raheny
C Wilson - Vincent’s ?
C Doyle - ?
D Byrne - Olafs
M Tighe- ?
S Carthy- mearnog
R Deegan- Thomas Davis
C Reddin- Maurs
C Basquel- Ballyboden
K Callaghan- ?
A Rogers- ?
C Costello- Whitehall
C McHugh- NaF
Subs: R McGowan- Crokes
G Hannigan- Castleknock
D Devereux- ballinteer (I think)
S Ryan- ?
E O Conghaile- Lucan
A Elliott- Ballymun
G O’Reilly- NaF
K Doherty- ?

Doherty is Judes, is Rogers Clann Mhuire?

Yeah think that’s him.

Kevin Callaghan St Brigids?
C.Doyle Olafs?
Seamus Ryan St Judes?

Seamus Ryan and Kieran Doherty from Jude’s.

Adam Rogers Clann Mhuire.

Kevin Callaghan & Malachy Tighe from Brigids.

Colin Doyle Olaf’s.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/278919

Chairman Sean Shanley has confirmed that they intend to adopt a similar approach in 2018 as Jim Gavin and his three-in-a-row All-Ireland winning heroes will be away on a well-earned team holiday.

“It will be an experimental Dublin football team once again in the O’Byrne Cup,” he told The Irish Daily Sun.

“The squad are flying out to South Africa for their holiday on the 27th of December, so it’s my understanding that it will be a similar situation to last year with Paul Clarke taking charge.”

let’s hope it is as productive as last year, who would have thought that Scully end up playing in the All Ireland final.

Was delighted for him, always liked him as an underage player, think he has a lot to offer us over the coming years.

On a related note, the other half bought me the attached picture which now proudly adorns the kitchen wall (she’s a keeper that one).

https://patrickdonald.com/gaelic-football/1527-dublin-celebrate-three-consecutive-wins.html

One thing you’ll notice if you take a proper look at it is how lightly Scully is built compared to the rest of them (arms and legs especially), even Costello who would have had a similar build as a minor. Just goes to show the level of physical development these lads undergo with a few years on the panel and thus the disadvantage anybody not already on it faces in trying to break into the starting 15. Considering that, Niall did remarkably well to play the amount of football he did last summer but his lack of stature was probably a factor in him not being picked against Mayo’s half backs for the Final. He’ll no doubt have been given a winter gym programme to start him on the road to filling out the way Mannion did.