David Dotsy OCallaghan

Thought he deserved his own thread.

What a servant to Dublin down the last 15 years. A stylish player and a gentleman off the field. First seen him down in Portlaoise around 2002 in an u21 game against Wexford. Hadn’t seen a forward like him in a Dublin jersey prior to that. Seen good ones but not like this fella.

He soldiered through some dark days with Dublin always chipping in with scores always showing. Was as happy for him as I was for anyone in 2011 and 2013 when serious trophies were one.

He took on some of the best defenders the game had to offer in his time and very few if any kept him quiet for a full game.

Dublins loss will be ST Marks gain I’m sure. All the very best to him in his retirement. Thanks for the many good days sat in the stand watching you stroll by a Jackie Tyrell and tapping over a score. Thanks for always having time to sign kids autographs or take a pic with them after a game won or lost. Thanks for your commitment to the jersey.

One of Dublins best

Absolute wizard…destroyed many a quality defender. Rarely beaten by his marker. Respected in all the hurling strongholds too…which says a lot about how good he was. One of few players we have produced who would have made the top teams in the country.

Know from playing with and against him how good he was/is. A true Dublin GAA man on and off the field. He soldiered during good and very bad times. That shimmy was a joy to watch. Congrats and enjoy the club time.

Best wishes to Dotsy in his retirement. Always gave his all. Can’t ask for more than that.

The shimmy :clap:

Great player and always a great attitude. Best of luck in the future, Dotsy

A great Dublin hurler. Told me couple of years back that even when playing with what was the more glamorous Dublin football team his true love was always hurling. Delighted he got the chance to play & succeed at the highest level in hurling.

Sorry to see him retire but glad he went on his own terms, He’s had a great Intercounty career in both codes and had some brilliant days wearing the blue and navy under Dalo.

He’s a gent and was a great addition to our club when he was GPO with us for over 5 years.

Adios Dotsy. A legend of Dublin hurling. Thanks for everything given to hurling in Dublin.

Laoch!

I wonder would he be taken on as a selector by the new management?

The fact he played inter county football may help😎

Great servant. Was there when it was neither profitable nor popular to be a Dublin hurler

When it was neither profitable nor popular to be a Dublin hurler he left to join the more glamorous footballers. When he spent too many years on the bench for them he came back to the Hurlers…

I wouldn’t begrudge a dual player trying out for the footballers… I remember the St Marks hurling manager (a mad fella from Clare whose name escapes me) told me in 2002 that there was a new talent coming by the name of Dotsy. At the time I thought he was exaggerating, but he turned out to be spot on. A great servant to Dublin GAA. Hopefully he will inspire new talent in St Marks.

He’s definitely inspiring them so far this year… fantastic performance yesterday to best Scoil in intermediate semi final!

16 years after he played his 1st Inter Final. Fair play to him.