Champions League 2018/19

How come they’re playing them now when they were down to play Red Star Belgrade?

Thats their Serbian name.

FT Crvena Zvezda 0 Red Bull Salzburg 0

Cagey match. Goalie Cican Stankovic and center half Marin Pongracic the 2 best players for Salzburg.
This match was played behind closed doors because of problems in the Serbian’s side previous round match against Spartak Trnava of Slovakia.

Ah you’re trying to make eejits out of us. Were Dun Dealgan knocked out yet?

Just answering the question. Are you talking about Dudelange?

No - Dun Dealgan

Looks up Dun Dealgan… No Dundalk aren’t in the champions league.

If you’re gonna start throwing in the auld Serbian words we’re gonna have to use the Gaeilge.

The other 3 Champions League Playoff Qualifier 1st legs are tonight.

:switzerland: Young Boys Bern vs :croatia: Dinamo Zagreb
:hungary: Videoton vs :greece: AEK Athens
:netherlands: Ajax vs :ukraine: Dynamo Kiev

Perhaps you can answer a question that has always puzzled me. Are Ajax sponsored by the makers of that well known domestic cleaning agent?

Must. Resist. Asking. About. Celtic.

HT Ajax 3 Dynamo Kiev 1

Ajax really pushing the pace. Took the lead early when Hakim Ziyech clipped a ball in to Dusan Tadic who layed it back to Donny van de Beek who just squeaked his shot past Dynamo Kiev goalie Denys Boyko and in to give the Amsterdamers a lead less that 90 seconds in. Bad keeping from the keeper though. Dynamo almost equalised off a corner though shortly after whipped in by Viktor Sygankov hit into the ground by Tamas Kadar only to be tipped wide by Ajax goalie Andre Onana. Dynamo Kiev got their away goal shortly after. Another Tsygankov corner headed on by Kadar that was saved only for Polish right-back Tomas Kedziora to tap in the rebound and equalize for the Ukrainians. Ajax went back in front on 35 minutes as Ziyech’s curled effort deflected off Kadar and in. Right before half time Ajax got a 3rd good work from Argentinian left-back Nicolas Tagliafico to place his delivery straight into Tadic at the near post for a simple tap-in. Both full backs Noussair Mazraoui and Tagliafico have really looked to push up the pitch and put pressure on that Dynamo back 4. The captain for Ajax is 19 yr old Matthias De Light at center half. Normally VC but regular captain center back Joel Veltman is currently injured.

FT Ajax 3 Dynamo Kiev 1

Ajax could of had 2 more in the 2nd half as Huntelaar headed off the bar and Ziyech struck the post but it finishes as it was at half-time.

Slipping in a bit of US Soccer Guy…nice!!

4 goal shot insertions in the first period…exciting stuff

2nd legs imminent as Dynamo Kiev look to overturn a 3-1 deficit tonight against Ajax. They really have to go for it from the off.

:croatia: Dinamo Zagreb vs :switzerland: Young Boys Bern (1-1)
:greece: AEK Athens: vs :hungary: Videoton (2-1)
:ukraine: Dynamo Kiev vs :netherlands: Ajax (1-3)

Spoiler alert. I am video taping the games to watch when I get home at midnight and want the excitement of watching them live.

The 80’s called, they want their Betamax back!

No Betamax for me - VHS all the way. Walkman headphones are busted though.

HT Dynamo Kiev 0 Ajax 0

Dynamo Kiev with their only real chance coming very early on when Viktor Tsygankov crossed and arriving was Slovenian Benjiman Verbic who managed to steer the ball towards goal only to be tipped over by Ajax goalie Andre Onana. Ajax won a penalty when captain Matthijs De Ligt had his jersey held inside the box by Dynamo Kiev rb Tomas Kedziora. Dusan Tadic stepped up to take the penalty by he the post and despite it coming back to him on a rebound he skied that effort over. Ajax should of been in front right before half time when Noussair Mazraoui slipped the ball ahead to Donny van de Beek who played in Klass-Jan Hunterlaar but Huntelaar was denied by an excellent save from Denys Boyko in goal for Dynamo Kiev. The young Austrian left back Maximilian Wober looked good in for the suspended Argentine Nicolas Tagliafico.

Ah Christ I asked you not to spoil it!! I know people here are desperately waiting for the reports but you are ruining it for me.

FT Dynamo Kiev 0 Ajax 0 (Ajax 3-1 agg)

How did Ajax not score in this match I simply don’t know. At least half a dozen good chances in the game. Dusan Tadic with a clipped ball into the goal area headed by Mazraoui into the ground seeming ly headed for the back of the net only for Boyko to make a terrific save. Hakim Ziyech had a free kick rattle off the bar. Matthijs De Ligt got a free header that went over as well. With 10 minutes remaining substitute Carel Eiting played a ball wide in space for Tadic who cut back for Huntelaar only to be stopped by Boyko again. In the end Ajax much the better team in this second leg and deservedly back into the Champions League group stages for the first time in 4 yrs. A great achievement for head coach Erik ten Hag who only took charge of them back in January last season.