Censuses and Dublin history

There is some real gold on the old Dublin clubs thread.

Just wondering has anyone ever chased up their own family history or even that of where they live. I always thought the road where I was born and reared was built in 1913 but when the 1911 census came online the road was there - and the house number. It made for fascinating reading. Presbyterian family - Dad 31, Mum 30 and daughter … 14!! :thinking: … and a 16 year old Roman Catholic servant girl completed the household. But when you look at the actual completed form - which the sanitary engineer husband seems to have made a balls of - the baby appears to be 1 and 3/4! :grinning::grin:

There were lots of English people on the road - many working in the GPO! Lots of Irish servant girls too. We even had Scottish Episcopalians! Hugely interesting reading.

That’s Darndale for you.

I know it’s not relevant here but was reading recently about the huge numbers of Irish sold as slaves to the West Indies and thereabouts in the 1600s. Harrowing stuff. I have always suspected that there is much of our history that we know little about. There is probably a history thread on here somewhere? As for moi, my da was a culchie and ma’s parents were culchies so I’m lucky to be here at all!! (False name, dodgy passport etc)

I wonder did some of the slaves end up here?

have become friends with lots of west indians with my surname on facebook. some are every distant relations formed from irish slaves having it off with african slaves, but others have the name because slaves were given the surname of slaveowners somtimes.

have some interesting stuff found from family research.

my mothers family lived in johnstons court there off grafton street, above a jewelers (flat is still there), she made her communion/confrimation in st teresa’s. During the war of independance her mother had a picture which had michael collins on one side and the king on the other and she would flip it depending on who was in the apartment!

my grandfathers were interesting enough. one was a G-man with the DMP and the other was in the IRA and was one of the many who were on the honour guard of michael collins coffin.

On the mothers side (the g-man) a brother or uncle of his carried out an interesting caper during the siege on the four courts. There lay the old Parliamentary Mace from the old irish parliament, and it went missing (cant remember if this was 1916, or the civil war) and it was discovered in his premises on Aran Quay where he had a cafe beside where Heathers Shoes were. He and the rest of his platoon were convicted of larceny!

Great book call “McCarthy’s Bar” written by Pete McCarthy, he set out to visit all Bars called McCarthy around the world. He ended up in Montserrat, and gives great overview of the Island’s History and link to Ireland.
Montserrat are the only country who have St. Patrick’s Day as official holiday,from what I can remember, they also have the Harp on their passport etc…

That’s gas.

And, “having it off” - :rofl:

Mad thing I discovered reading a book about the 1798 rebellion. At the time Dublin had a population of about 250,000, making it the SEVENTH largest city in the world at the time. That’s a higher position than the likes of Tokyo, New York, Moscow, Paris or London have today.

Makes you wonder what the 6 cities ahead of Dublin were in terms of population. Rome? London? Istanbul/Contantinople? Cairo? Bombay/Mumbai? Paris? Naples? Lisbon? Amsterdam? St Petersburg?
Also, what size population would Dublin have now but for the famine?

It was about 8 million at the time, went down to about 4.5 at some stage including NÍ. Total island pop now is about 6 or more

Dublin, not the island, @25AliveOh.
In the height of the Celtic Tiger, there was a prediction that the island’s population would hit 8m by 2025.

Some fascinating stuff in the old census records.

About 2 million I’d say @beeko

Don’t think it would be hugely different. As there was sufficient produce to support the population, and no industrial revolution to draw the population to the city as per other countries, you’d imagine the ratio might have stayed constant. At least until recently when the centres of power and investment really shifted to the capitals.

And the cities large than Dublin in 1798? Anyone care to guess or produce stats?

Have often wondered that myself. London and Paris definitely were two. At a guess I’d say apart possibly from Cairo, nothing outside Europe was.

Yeah but the famine meant there were an awful lot less culchies to move up here when that migration really gathered pace in the 20th century.

I’d say Bombay/Mumbai, possibly? Trading port on the silk and spice trails. Founded by the Portuguese before being run by the Britishers?

Madrid I think has always been populous