I wouldn’t be certain of either clause(?) in that sentence.

Could cause serious issues alright, tourism, trade etc. Apparently we might be able to pick up a decent share of foreign direct investment which will be scared off the uk now, which might help to offset that … A bit …, hopefully

When folks talk about tourism for example, what do they think, there is going to be some sort of a Berlin wall put up? I mean do tourists not go to and come from places like Switzerland? I don`t really see why tourism would be affected.

Rowing back on promises already:

What is new in that, tell me any referendum or election campaign where campaigners did not make false promises. I would imagine if you looked at what the remain campaigners said you would also find a load scaremongering as to what would be the consequences of an out vote

I would when you do the maths on it. England is one of the most racist countries in the world and the vote was about immigration. Financially it will crucify them. English economy is in poor enough shape and they’ll realise soon enough it has nothing to do with being in the EU.
Once one financial services company leaves the UK it will snowball. Great news for financial services employees in Dublin though as Dublin is the only English speaking country in Europe with the right time-zone. They’ll have their choice of options

Money has been pouring out of London for weeks now ahead of the vote as a precaution. Now …

That’s my take on it too, things will shift, things will get worked out. Like any major change, it will be seen as a challenge, in some senses an opportunity for the European region to diversify & adapt. When you consider the problems it has gone through as EU, it could all work out better, this could actually hasten a move to a more workable type of integration

[quote=“25AliveOh, post:48, topic:617, full:true”]

That’s my take on it too, things will shift, things will get worked out. Like any major change, it will be seen as a challenge, in some senses an opportunity for the European region to diversify & adapt. When you consider the problems it has gone through as EU, it could all work out better, this could actually hasten a move to a more workable type of integration, with less regulation.

Of course it could also mean more division, more economic problems, etc & so on. And Ireland will have to take a creative approach to this now. Do we have the people in the positions to make a difference who can do that? Our next election is going to be a massive point in our history now, even more so than it would have been anyway.

A certain trend I have noticed is that when the EU don’t get the expected result it’s the end of the world and they get all bullish, Greece, the euro, Lisbon. i wouldn’t bet against that referendum been run again after all we get told to do it once the answer they get is not what they want.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the EU push for it, but after Cameron’s speech and how he said they not only had to accept the result but help out, it would be hard to see the referendum being run again

It won’t be run again. The Brits don’t do stuff like that. And if it was they would vote out by a bigger margin just to show the EU what’s what.

They are unbelieveably thick like that :slight_smile:

At the rate the brexit lads are rowing back on their election ‘promises’ there’s almost grounds for another one. Also the reality & scale of the clusterfuck they’ve voted on themselves ought to be dawning on even the dumbest leave voters.

Really don`t get the foregone conclusion that it will be a disaster, I mean Norway and Switzerland get along fine without the EU.

Norway has buckets of oil, has to pay for access to the single market, has to play along with all the EU rules, including immigration/free movement of workers, why leave the EU table to sign up for that? Not sure about the Swiss deal but thrEU aren’t going to let them have their cake & eat it.

My basic point is they have taken a democratic decision, but it seems that the whole of Europe is not really willing to accept it and rather than wishing them well in the future all we are hearing is how stupid they are , when really at this stage nobody knows how it will pan out. I get the feeling that the huge tantrum we are hearing is partly due to the fact that a lot of EU countries feel they might lose out and are not really focussing on whether it is good or bad for the UK. Let’s face it they have never been comfortable in EU, refused the euro, schengen etc, they have always tried to be treated different.

That’s the EU for you bigP, you don’t agree with their model you can feck off.

I don’t think it can be boiled down to one issue. A central tenet of the Leave campaign was (the misguided notion) about getting back control, on budgeting, taxes etc, not just immigration.

Financially it will crucify them - I read that by 10am yesterday Brexit had cost the UK more than it ever put into the EU - but it will settle down. Business people and politicians are pragmatic, deals will be made in the future. The City of London is a major centre of finance, that won’t change. Especially if they change their tax structures. (Mind you, Sunderland etc won’t see a ha’penny of it.)

I am surprised by how quickly the EU in its various guises has insisted on the UK moving forward ASAP. I’m sure Boris et al are too. No long goodbye, "its not an amicable divorce’ as one EU head has put it.

Norway is in the EEA though. They are apart of the free market and by being so they acquiesce to free movement of people and capital. If the Brits want full control of their borders a full exit will only give that.

They’ve taken a decision (by a very small majority a 1% swing would swing it the other way) on the back of a populist campaign which was based on a pack of lies. Not usual for politicians to lie through their hoops but the Brexiters are rowing back on them hours after winning. oh look, the 300 million a week figure was pie in the sky and oh look, it wont be going to the NHS now as promised it turns out that that was a ‘mistake’ (because it was not a real figure in the first place) that they have no plan on what to do now. they are now making noises like the vote was so close, lets see what “deal we can come up with with the EU” and that they might not be able to get migrations down to anything like the figures they suggested. The xenophobic false advertising by UKIP suggesting that non-EU migrants weren’t already up to the government is more of it.

It turns out that the hundreds of economists and respected financial institutions who advised/warned against this decision were not lying to protect themselves, they were not scare mongering, they were trying to warn of the serious financial turmoil will result from this, should they go through with it. London’s’ financial district has basically stopped any investment in the UK and are looking at where in Europe to move to, that without their EU financial passports they wont be able to do deals for European companies = huge damage to their economy, outside the other general trade issues. Thousands and Thousands of well paying city jobs are set to leave London.

The tories are going to enter into a leadership battle and labour are imploding after their constituency voted to leave the institution whose social protection fund, finances all sorts of projects in their areas (which the Tories couldn’t give a shit about).

Not to mention the fact that the UK could easily break up now, Scotland threatening to have another referendum, that the good Friday agreement will have to be renegotiated etc etc etc …

The fact that the most googled thing in the UK since the election is “what is the EU” says it all. It’s all well and good to have a protest vote against a government but they’ll pay a heavy price for their ‘independence’, it is a shitestorm beyond comprehension - never should have been a referendum, this is huge and it is no place for protest votes or votes based on a pack of lies.

The EU is simply asking them now that they have voted to leave, to start the negotiation, hardly an unreasonable request as the longer the messing goes on - the worse it is for our economies. Merkel has toned downt he demand now anyways.

What a bloody mess - all Cameron’s fault for calling the referendum in the first place.

Best case scenario is that they have to get this through the house of parliament, so hopefully they’ll have a general election to get a mandate, and hold another referendum this time based on actual facts, like if you vote to leave this is what you will get. If you vote to stay this is what you will get.