Ask ResDubs

And I am unanimous in that!

Our kitty brings in something every other night if we leave her out.

And to the cat-abusers here, we all know yous are the ones who if left unchecked eventually turn into serial killers…

Did anyone see that video of the guy feeding the cat in the back garden?? I’d post it only I’d probably get banned, even though it was only sent to me

You still selling them … chicken wings … :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Jaysus great idea, never thought of that! I would wipe the population of gulls out in one weekend though the amount we sell

Gull Wings…just like a Delorean!
Imagine the Back to the Future marketing…

Could be a gold mine

Car failed on brake pads and for one bulb (rear lamp) being a different intensity.

Can replace the pads myself.

Bought a new bulb (exact same as opposite bulb that is working correctly) but when fitted it produces same intensity as the one that failed. Have swapped around a few other similar bulbs and all produce the same intensity. (The original bulb that ‘failed’ works when swapped over.) I’m guessing it’s something to do with the wiring? Or possibly a fuse?

Over to you.

Sounds like an issue with the lamp , a drop in current would result in less intensity . Also , how exactly do you measure intensity ?? Is it dull compared to the same wattage on one of the other lamps ?

It’s direct opposite bulb on the far side is very noticeably brighter. Almost as if just one element in the bulb is lighting.

If you were inclined you throw a multimeter & check the voltage on it . Then check corresponding bulb on the good , working lamp & compare the result . Sounds like a job for a mechanic if you wouldn’t be too familiar with the fix .

Is there any damage or corrosion to the bulb holder/socket or wiring?

That could affect resistance or amp strength in the circuit, which would in turn affect intensity/wattage output.

Most common fault with stop/tail bulbs and brightness issues, is the bulb being in the wrong way around. Rotate it 180 degrees. There are 2 separate contacts on the base of the bulb, one for the brake light filament (21w), the other for the tail light filament (5w).

If that doesn’t resolve it, you’re most likely looking at a bad earth on that cluster of lights. The brake (21 watt) obviously needs a better connection as the wattage and ampage it uses are greater.

If you can’t suss it, you’re welcome to pop over to me and I’ll give it the once over!

Surely the car is not safe to drive if it failed the NCT!

Maith an fear Rochey.
I just learned something there.
You can’t beat “hands-on” knowledge.

Wrong!

The bulb still lights , just not at the intensity it should ?

Cheers lads.

Started on the brakes to discover I can’t find the hex socket I need, then got lashed on while putting the wheel back on.

RE the bulb:I haven’t noticed any rust or damage to the cluster. Rochey, I can’t rotate the bulb as it only goes in one way.

Switched the clusters over and the problem persists on the same side so obviously a wiring issue.

Need to go at it with a volt meter so. Most likely a bad earth. How old is said vehicle sir? Was it imported from our salty cousins across the pond?

Have a meter, haven’t a clue how to use it though. I’m feeling this might be above my level.

It’s 10 year old, Skoda Octavia. Irish reg.

If you’re around Dublin 9/11 in the next few days (not tomorrow) let me know and pop by, I’ll have a look for you.