Adult Football League 1 (AFL1) 2017

I dont like either especially those who have a history of importing over rated players like Bank angel Gabriel,who probably knows as much about football as my 2 year old nail clippings.

Somev outside players are logical, they have set up in city, too far to commute home regularly and aren’t mercenaries. Inter Dublin transfers doesn’t cut it for me

I think there’s an awful habit of copying styles in IC and club football, or following trends. I don’t get it myself. For a start sometimes the style (e.g. bloody sweepers) is limited in its effectiveness or ‘success’ in the first place. Imo one of the main reasons Vins won the C’ship was because teams persisted with using a sweeper against them.

I’d be all for playing to your strengths. Assess what you have and then consider how to best utilise it. Boughal actually do this well.

Last year in the Intermediate Westport had 3 very young lads up front who were fliers. They just created space for them and they ran amok. Play to your strengths and don’t be afraid to go for it.

I often wondered how these lads who go from club to club coaching get to where they are. I know nothing about the Crokes manager it is just something I often wondered about.

Some outside players yes. I was thinking how some clubs have lost a lot of respect. Should we limit the amount who join a club? Think if a lad is living in an area and working in an area then its fine. But say someone living North Dublin travels all the way to Wicklow border to join a club when he has a senior club around the corner.

I think there’s an awful habit of copying styles in IC and club football, or following trends. I don’t get it myself. For a start sometimes the style (e.g. bloody sweepers) is limited in its effectiveness or ‘success’ in the first place. Imo one of the main reasons Vins won the C’ship was because teams persisted with using a sweeper against them.

I’d be all for playing to your strengths. Assess what you have and then consider how to best utilise it. Boughal actually do this well.

Last year in the Intermediate Westport had 3 very young lads up front who were fliers. They just created space for them and they ran amok. Play to your strengths and don’t be afraid to go for it.

Would agree with you here. The amount of trends we have seen between training regimes and tactics have cost a lot of club sides Too many teams have got beaten because they focused on the other team instead of using their own strengths. I understand the tactics sometimes but like Westport using their 3 nippy forwards to good effect is not copied enough.

No, as far I know he wasn’t pushed, but I think everyone around the football section knew his time was up. That senior team is no way better off than when he came in. The back to back Under21 titles really mean nothing.

Do you feel Na Fianna were hamstrung by that type of cautiousness against Vins this year?

i was expecting Byrne & McHugh to be zipping around Parnell having a cut of Vincnets at every opportunity, never transpired.

I would give NF a pass this year with new management and a very young team. Also when they exited it was also only early May, the second round. If they made the next round they’d have had another 4 and half months training and being together. I know - excuses, excuses!

But it is just an observation on my part. I just cannot understand why teams blindly persist with the sweeper system when for most - if not all - it clearly doesn’t work. Often the best players are withdrawn to a defensive role. Mannion scored 1-4 (4 frees) v Castleknock while CK hit 1f in an even deeper role. What might they have scored if they were deployed where their effectiveness is without doubt - in the forwards? As well as blunting your own attacking threat you are also giving a player like Ger Brennan an armchair ride - and he will make you pay for that - as shown more than once.

Why is the sweeper system the go to for managers these days though? I’ve seen new managers come in to clubs and they have decided that they’re playing with a sweeper before the first training session. so they would have some knowledge of the players from watching them i presume but they would have no idea what all the strengths and weaknesses of the squad are. That seems like a short sighted approach and doomed to fail.

My biggest bugbear from watching senior football this year is when a teams first aim when they lose the ball is to sprint back to the 45. Even if the man with the ball is a meter or two away the player on the defending team sprints past him to get to his own 45. Obviously what they’re coached to do and does my head in

I think the loss of training due to early exit is entirely valid excuse. Na Fianna progress has no doubt been halted by these 1st or 2nd round exits as aside from loss of training and development time, players losing interest, you get chopping and changing of mgmt and a general loss of momentum.

I think it ties in with what Jackie Tyrell revealed in his book that Cody wanted to keep foot on throat of developing upcoming teams and halt their progress.