50 Films You Must See Before Kildare Win an All-Ireland

On further investigation, yes, it is so.

Even by the standards of my irregular postings on this thread, it’s been an age since my last addition. Regardless, I’ve every intention of finishing this list and after realizing I’ve allowed a glut of Spanish films to accumulate on my draft list, I’ll be sprinkling these among my last dozen selections and will start with this one.

39) La Comunidad (Common Wealth) - Spain

Outside of his homeland, whatever level of recognition Álex De La Iglesía has enjoyed is probably for his eponymous documentary feature on Lionel Messi. That belies his status as a creator of often quirky black comedies. His particular mix of mayhem, murder and mirth may not be to the liking of all but this farcical romp would arguably have the widest appeal among those in his back catalogue.

Julia Garcia (played by the iconic Carmen Maura, who will be a familiar face to fans of Almodóvar) moves into a grotty Madrid apartment block with her husband. An attempt to reinject some passion into their maudlin marriage is interrupted when an avalanche of cockroaches cascades down from the apartment above onto their bed. It transpires that the unwelcome visitors had been feasting on the rotting corpse of the elderly man upstairs and there’s an even bigger surprise in store when curiosity gets the better of Julia and she creeps into the apartment for a nose around.

While it could be said that what follows adheres pretty rigidly to the standard dark humour template of making light of the worst of human behaviour, the pacing, tension and some fine acting, particularly from Maura, make for compulsive if at times absurd viewing.

As an aside, the title this was given in English is a rare example of an incongruous appellation resulting from a translation from Spanish to English - the straight transcription of ‘The Community’ would have been fine. The phenomenon of film titles in English being given plot spoiling or just utterly bizarre names in Spanish is near legendary at this stage, among the most memorable being “The Glass Jungle” (Die Hard), “I’m in Love with My Ex” (It’s Complicated), “I Want To Kill My Boss” (Horrible Bosses) and “An Unexpected Ending” (Thelma and Louise). Let’s just be grateful the same bloke wasn’t let do likewise with The Usual Suspects or The Sixth Sense.

Been meaning to add to this but thought this was a cool tweet

Shannon is a great actor one of America’s best. Take shelter is a great movie.

I’ve been meaning to watch that . He was very good in Waco and other stuff , and of course as Van Alden in Boardwalk Empire .

Edit , I have seen it :laughing:, check out Midnight Special , that’s good too !

Check out Shotgun Stories if you like Michael shannon. Fantastic movie and performance

The Harvest is another very good, but extremely grim movie he stars in.

Very good & deranged movie .

Loved the book, and the film was pretty damn good too. Michael Sheen is very underrated.

I’ll admit I was tempted to alter the title of this thread to ‘50 Films You Must See Before Kildare Win Another Match’ but don’t want to set the bar too low for them.

40) Hell Or High Water

I never envisaged including what might arguably be classified as a Western in this list when I began it, but so be it. While the tone (and indeed geographical setting) is much more in keeping with ‘No Country For Old Men’ than a ‘High Noon’, some of the key elements of the classic films of the genre are indisputably present in this engaging, modern day thriller.

Brothers Toby (Chris Pine) and Tanner Howard (Ben Foster) are engaged in a spree of bank robberies of the Texas Midland Bank across West Texas. We soon realise that Tanner, an ex-con, is something of a loose cannon, invoking the chagrin of his brother for the dangers to which his behaviour exposes them. Two Texas Rangers, Marcus Hamilton (Jeff Bridges) and Alberto Parker (Gil Birmingham) are on their trail and try to get a step ahead of the brothers by speculating on their next likely target.

While we can guess from early on that a showdown is on the horizon, the pleasure is in the journey there. It’s superbly acted throughout, rich in its cinematography, convincing in its portrayal of the motivations of the principal players and all underpinned by a wonderfully apt if unsettling score courtesy of Nick Cave.

Saw it last summer , very good movie. Good choice.

It’s an excellent film. Same guy wrote Sicario, and Ben Foster is doing some good work too.

He sure is , just got married today to yer wan out of That '70s Show