3rd man in

Can anyone confirm what rule this is covered under? Or is it lucky dip? Marys Man whats your definition of it. Cheers

“Contributing to a melee”. If two players are getting to know each other and a third joins in, he should be expecting to walk too. It is a grey area because it is open to interpretation as to exactly what the third player is up too. Is he trying to break it up or trying to escalate it!!! If he is pulling his team mate away he is not doing anything that would warrant a red card.

You have to love the aul GAA sayings, “getting to know each other” “hit him hard he’s no relation” “schemozzle” “Melee” to name a few. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of this terminology in the official rule book :joy:

“Let your man know you’re there”.
“Don’t spare the timber, lads”.

I got booked for such a thing in Parnell park before…two lads playing rolly polly with the ball up the other end of the field, I pulled our lad up out of it and got booked for “entering the fray”…:crazy_face:

Contributing to a melee - hard one to call - is the player breaking up the row or is he adding fuel to the fire? Generally unless he clocks someone or is throwing punches/kicks etc I’d give a yellow card at most.

A yellow card for breaking up a row?

The etymology of schmozzle is an odd one. It’s a old Yiddish word that Jews took from Eastern Europe to New York, where they’d use it to describe a street brawl. Michael O’Hehir picked it up during his time there working for NBC and introduced it into his commentary of GAA matches. Despite nobody in Ireland ever having heard it before, it’s one of those wonderfully descriptive words (what wordies call onomatopoeic) that people instinctively understand by its sound. While Yiddish itself is all but dead as a language our good oul schmozzle is a less endangered species.

Sorry for the tangent, carry on there lads.

And some Americans call a street brawl a “Donnybrook”, I seem to recall?

Technically he is contributing to a melee which is a red card. If I can clearly see he is breaking up the row and hasn’t made the situation any worse, then no card would be issued

True. Which is another odd one, given that the scramble for the last fois gras in Donnybrook Fair was about the nearest that place had ever seen to a dust up until that set to between Bertram and Wilfred after the rugby game a few months back got out of hand.

Annabell’s night club?

Burlington Hotel isn’t Donnybrook.

Close enough (for us northsiders).

Whats the definition of a melee though. Punches, kicks etc or handbags?

Nothing in the rule book that define a melee. I know a motion went to congress this year that a melee includes 5 players but I think general rule is 2 or more people.
Oxford English dictionary defines is as ‘A confused fight or scuffle.’ - go figure!

So, if the players involved aren’t confused, there’s no need to send them off?

Unless the ref is then it’s a definite red card!