2018 SFC - Ulster Championship

Congratulations on the victory. I would love to see Fermanagh win an Ulster title. The gameplan is not pretty but it is very effective and maximizes Fermanagh’s resources, and as someone pointed out on GAABoard, Fermanagh for years had too many nice footballers - these boys have winning as their aim and will do what it takes. There will be negative reaction to that, but I couldn’t see too many worrying about that if the Anglo Celt Cup was being paraded around Inrvinestown.

…with the fair Arlene leading said parade? They love an aul parade that lot ! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ha - certainly not. If its a choice between winning a title and being liked I’ll take the former and doubt many would disagree.

One of the 2 super 8 groups is going to be a group of death ,how about Donegal ,mayo.,dublin and tyrone ??? or kerry ,monaghan tyrone ,galway ??

Fermfave is a great name, maith thú! :grinning:
Nothing against your team overall, great win, hope yis go on to take the title.
But, it’s a sad sign of where Gaelic sport is at when fans and onlookers are praising how a free-taker is put off his game by cynical tactics like it’s a big achiement, a skill even.
In all other team sports you’re not allowed to do that. I’m repeating myself but some of the blame for this lies squarely at the feet of the many in the last couple of years who lauded cynical tactics when it suited them, and who see the practice of cute hoorism at the top level as a badge of honour.

I understand what you’re saying, but the mental aspect of the game is as important as the physical. Footballing intelligence is rightly lauded and rewarded, as is cute play - is mental strength not a similar trait to be tested and subsequently rewarded? There was never the same hand-wringing over, for example, a player who didn’t like the rough stuff getting a few digs, and thats a lot worse imo.

I also don’t think its true at all that players don’t try to put the opposition off in any way they can in all other team sports. I’m not saying its a skill, but I’m saying I’ve no issue with someone making it as difficult as they can for the opposition, within the rules of the game.

Up to a point yes. I think free-takers should be protected, as they largely are in other sports. And stuff like Keegan got up to against Connolly, and the imitators doing similar should be punished.

Keegan to be banned for life IMO

The best find a way to win even when not performing

Ah indeed. Keegan attempted to physically interfere - thats completely out of line. And It not having an impact made Rocks kick all the greater. But having a wall in front of the kicker, being vocal (not at the kicker), getting that edge, I’m fine with.

On a related note, I’ve always thought the whole ‘silence for the kick’ in the crowd in any sport is rubbish particulary prevalent in rugger, I was once in a pub watching a game and some idiots starting shushing ppl for a kick in a stadium 2 mile away) - while it may not sound very sportsmanlike, if there’s someone whose done the work to be properly prepared for pressure kicks they should be prepared for a bit of noise.

So what’s the point having the opposition shouting shite about their ma then?

Having a laugh…

Blockquote fermfave
9h
25AliveOh

Ah indeed. Keegan attempted to physically interfere - thats completely out of line. And It not having an impact made Rocks kick all the greater. But having a wall in front of the kicker, being vocal (not at the kicker), getting that edge, I’m fine with.

On a related note, I’ve always thought the whole ‘silence for the kick’ in the crowd in any sport is rubbish particulary prevalent in rugger, I was once in a pub watching a game and some idiots starting shushing ppl for a kick in a stadium 2 mile away) - while it may not sound very sportsmanlike, if there’s someone whose done the work to be properly prepared for pressure kicks they should be prepared for a bit of noise.

Blockquote

Nah I was really referring to his Octopussy antics Vs Connolly in the previous years, the stuff that contributed to him winning POTY and all that.

Yeh I’ve no problem with crowd noise.

Donegal 2-22 Down 1-12

Donegal shold win by 10+ in the Ulster Final.

Neill McGee up to his old antics , didn’t look good .

Good old Whelo batting for him …

Bizarre

A very one sided match, underlined totally by the fact that Donegal cruised this game with a one man disadvantage. Donegal looked like world beaters and Murphy had the opportunity to show off some of his soccer skills. I’d venture that most of Donegal’s scores came from the Down kick-out. I am at a loss to explain their kick-out strategy. Down were pitiful and my immediate instinct is to suggest that step one should be to develop a bit of cynicism and get someone like Ricey in.

As is always the case with these things, the true worth of Donegal owes as much to Down’s inadequacies as it does to their own excellence. They’ll have tougher days ahead when we will get an insight into their true value.

I watched the whole match on delayed coverage, and the highlight for me was Martin Clarke on commentary explaining how an effort on goal from one of the Millar brothers of Down dropped ‘tamelessly’ into the keeper’s hands.

It was that good!! :neutral_face:

Christ Rufus …

I know. I’m not proud of myself. :disappointed:

They are absolutely brutal though (:rofl:) and are simply playing the role of traffic cones.